Incoming Full-Time MBA Orientation 2015
Additional information will be updated as it becomes available. Please check this site regularly.
Congratulations on your admittance to the UC Davis MBA program! We are looking forward to you joining the Graduate School of Management (GSM) community. The following Orientation and Communication & Culture Boot Camp details are meant for enrolled full-time students only.
This website provides information about the Communication & Culture Boot Camp and MBA Orientation 2015. Please check back often as information will be updated throughout this orientation period.
Communication & Culture Boot Camp
August 24 – 28, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Attendance is required for International students, optional for Domestic students.
The Communication & Culture Boot Camp will cover graduate level communication and presentation skills with a focus on enhancing cultural understanding of Western business methods and norms.
The Boot Camp will be held in Gallagher Hall on the UC Davis campus. There you will hear from speakers ranging from International alumni to Dan Beaudry (author of Power Ties: The International Student’s Guide to Finding a Job in the United States book). There will also be intensive writing seminars, fluency workshops, and opportunities to begin researching companies and career options.
Detailed schedule here.
MBA Orientation 2015
September 1 – 23, 8:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
Attendance is required for all students.
MBA Orientation 2015 will prepare you academically, professionally and socially to excel in the UC Davis MBA program and beyond. We’ve created a comprehensive program that includes action learning sessions, critical thinking exercises, and networking opportunities to set the stage for your future success at UC Davis.
The $500 Orientation Fee covers partial costs for orientation and is due when you sign up for Orientation. Costs include speaker fees, room rentals, materials, business cards, professional name tags, ropes course, and outside registration fees, as well as meals and snacks.
Register here for Orientation and the Communication & Culture Boot Camp (Registration required)
What to Expect
- Lightweight, casual business attire is expected for most orientation days, as the Davis weather in August/September averages in the high 90s F (35 C). Formal business attire is expected for some sessions; notification will be given prior to the session.
- Ensure that you have activated your UC Davis user name and email prior to arriving at Orientation.
- Bring your laptop and charger.
- Ensure you have administrative access to install printer drivers and printers
- Ensure that your laptop has MS Windows 7 or higher (XP will not be supported)
- If using a Mac, additional software may be necessary to run Windows only applications
- Expect to receive additional information about the Associated Students of Management (ASM), including information on student-run events and how you can become an ASM member.
Location and Parking
- Orientation will begin at the Walter A. Buehler Alumni Center, Alumni Lane, UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616. The Communication & Culture Boot Camp will be held at Gallagher Hall (next door to the Alumni Center). Please access the UC Davis interactive campus map to find the exact location.
- Parking areas for Orientation 2015 and the Communication & Culture Boot Camp include Visitor Parking Lots 1 and 2 and the Gateway Parking Structure located adjacent to the Mondavi Center. Please review the Visitor Permit Parking Area map to find these parking areas.
- Parking permits are required and available for $9 from the automated kiosk located in the Gateway Parking Structure as well as the Visitor Parking (VP) Lot 1 just south of Gallagher Hall. There are also multiple bike parking (free) locations around the buildings.
The Hyatt Place UC Davis, is conveniently located just steps from Gallagher Hall.
Update: Room block rates ended on July 10, 2015. If you are still interested in securing a room at Hyatt Place, you may go directly to their website here or call them at 1-888-HYATT HP (1-888-492-8847). Be sure to specify the dates you are arriving and reference GSM Orientation 2015.
Forms To be Filled Out and Brought With You to Orientation
If you have any questions, please contact us via email or call the Full-Time MBA program Manager, Jacqueline Romo, at (530) 752-3593.
Register for Fall Courses
Fall registration will open on August 4.