Effective Negotiations: Strategies and Tactics
Presented by: Jim Olson, UC Davis Graduate School of Management 2016 Teacher of the Year
By learning and practicing negotiating basics in this program, from preparation to getting to “yes”, you will dramatically improve your confidence entering important negotiations, and the outcomes from those negotiations.
Current Dates and Locations for this program
about Effective Negotiations: Strategies and Tactics
In this program, you will be introduced to the science and art of negotiating successfully, in business and in life. We negotiate many times a day, often without even realizing it. By learning and practicing negotiating basics in this program, from preparation to getting to “yes”, you will dramatically improve your confidence entering important negotiations, and the outcomes from those negotiations. This program is hands on. You will learn negotiating skills by negotiating with other participants in a safe, learning-rich environment. Lecture time is minimal. Learning by doing is emphasized.
“After attending the UC Davis Executive Education program on Negotiations, one of our engineering managers used his new knowledge to improve the terms with a customer, which more than paid for the program.Since then we’ve sent 17 other staff from engineering, sales and procurement to the program—making us much more effective companywide.”
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals in management or individual contributor roles who negotiate to secure agreements, including, but not limited to, job offers, promotions, asset purchases, resource allocations, organization decisions, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Individuals who lack confidence when negotiating.
- Individuals who understand negotiation basics but desire to improve outcomes while maintaining relationships.
Learning Objectives & Program Benefits
- Better understand the nature of negotiations including the influence of human interests, goals, perceptions, and emotions
- Develop an intellectual framework based on social psychological theory to help analyze negotiation problems
- Develop skills and confidence as a negotiator
- Gain valuable experience in the negotiation process in a variety of contexts
- Gain insights from the instructor’s experience negotiating in Fortune 500 companies and as CEO of a Silicon Valley technology company. You will leave the program with the confidence and skills to improve outcomes in any negotiation.
- Continental Breakfast: 8:00-9:00am
- Morning Session: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Working / Networking Lunch: 12:00-1:30pm
- Afternoon Session: 1:30-4:30pm
The registration fee for this one-day program is $1,500.
- Fee includes all program materials, education fees, continental breakfast, lunch and snacks
- Special pricing available to UC Davis alumni.
- Group pricing rates are available if registering two or more people from the same company at the same time.