How To Order your Cap & Gown
- Online Cap & Gown Rental at UC Davis Bookstore. You are responsible for ordering a cap and gown if you wish to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. You do not need to pre-order a master’s hood.
- The Master’s “hood” is actually a drape that lies over the shoulders and down the back.The color combination of the hood designates the degree and the institution.
- Hoods for the ceremony are provided by the GSM. You do NOT need to pre-order a hood.
- All hoods are property of the GSM and must be returned to the staff at the reception. A charge of $200.00 will be applied if your hood is not returned to the GSM and your diploma will not be released.
How To Purchase Hoods
- If you anticipate participating in future academic events, hoods are available for purchase at the UC Davis Bookstore for approximately $200 + tax.
- Allow 8-10 weeks for delivery.
Wearing Academic Dress
- Cap worn with the long point of the shell to the rear.
- The black tassel is worn to the left signifying the possession of an academic degree.
- However, when crossing the stage, wear tassel on the right for photographic purposes.
- Master’s gowns are designed with an oblong sleeve, open at the wrist.
- Gown may be worn open or closed.
- Blue sashes are not to be worn during pictures nor during the ceremony.
- During the ceremony, a person (your “hooder”) of the candidate’s choice will place hood on candidate’s shoulders on stage.
- Hoods will be placed over decorative leis.
Attire For Candidates
- Clothing should be comfortable and light.
- Gowns are warm and the temperature in Davis in June can be warm as well.
- For men, coats are not necessary but a shirt and tie improve the appearance of the gown.
- Shoes should be comfortable and appropriate for walking up and down bleachers (class pictures) and risers (ceremony).
- There will be no storage area for personal items.
How To Return
- Gown and hood return tables available at GSM reception, Mondavi Center lobby, after Commencement.
- Return gowns to Bookstore table at the reception.
- Return hoods to GSM table at the reception.
- Cap/tassel are yours to keep.