Commencement 2013 Events, Deadlines, and Dates
Commencement 2013 Saturday, June 15 at 10:00 a.m. Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center
Events, Deadlines, and Dates
March 1 – 31 – Pre-order for GSM Delivery Cap & Gown Rental
- On the gown rental site, you will first choose your degree. Please note that there are 3 MBA options for the 3 geographic program locations. Please choose your program carefully so that your gown will be delivered to the appropriate location.
- Early-bird rental cost is $35 and includes the cap, gown, and tassel. Prices increase as the season progresses.
April 1- Personalized Invitations
- Personalized commencement invitations are available for purchase at the UC Davis Bookstore.
April 19 – Student Speaker Selection
- Deadline for student speakers to be selected and names submitted to Student Services.
- ASM and the Dean’s Student Advisory Councils are responsible for coordinating speaker selections for their respective programs.
April 19 – Commencement Participation Registration Deadline for all Participants
- Any student graduating in 2013 (March, June, September, or December) who wishes to participate in the June Commencement ceremony needs to sign up on-line by April 19. This registration will also serve to reserve 6 tickets for your Commencement guests.
- If you missed the April 19 deadline and wish to participate, contact Holly Bishop-Green directly.
April 24 – Sullivan/Smiley Awards nominations due to Student Services
- The James F. Sullivan Award is given to the graduating MBA student who has made a significant contribution to the Graduate School of Management, the UC Davis campus and/or the community during his/her tenure here. This award recognizes the importance of students who balance many other commitments in addition to academics and yet continue to give back to the campus or community.
- The Robert H. Smiley Leadership Award is given in recognition of MBA students (one each from Day, Sacramento and Bay Area programs) who have shown outstanding leadership in activities and enterprises that they have been involved in since becoming a student at the GSM. These students have shown leadership and initiative in starting new programs or taking existing programs to new and improved levels of operation and success.
- Because we may not be aware of the depth and breadth of people’s service, we would like to see nominations or recommendations for this award from the student body. Please complete your nomination(s) no later than April 24, 2013.
May 1 – Academic Dress Cap & Gown Rental Deadline.
Students who do not order their cap & gown by this deadline will not have their cap & gown delivered to their GSM location. You will be responsible for picking up your cap & gown on campus at the posted times.
May 1 – Teacher of the Year Award due to Student Services
- Graduating students in all three MBA programs have the opportunity to recognize a faculty member that most inspired them during their time at the Graduate School of Management. Please nominate the Professor of your choice and provide the reason for your nomination. The faculty member chosen will be acknowledged by the Dean at Commencement.
- NOTE: Last year’s recipient of the Teacher Award are not eligible to be nominated again this year. They will be eligible to be considered for this award again in 2014.
June 14 - New Alumni Welcome Event 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm, UC Davis Campus
- Complimentary luncheon to welcome 2013 graduates into the GSM Alumni Association.
- This event is limited to graduating students, faculty, and GSMAA Board Members. Families are welcome to join us at the reception following the Commencement Ceremony on Saturday.
- Reservations are required to attend. RSVP for this event.
- This event is a great opportunity to meet fellow graduates from all three programs.
June 14 - Rehearsal 2:00 pm, Mondavi Center
- You are strongly encouraged to attend.
- You do not need academic dress at rehearsal.
- Hooders do not need to be present at rehearsal.
- Be prepared to return keys/employment survey or access cards/alumni survey if you have not already done so.
- Note: The Office of Student Services will be closed from 10am-5pm for rehearsal and set-up.
June 15 – Commencement Day
Pictures will be taken on time! There is not time to accommodate candidates arriving late.
- 7:30 am – ALL CANDIDATES arrive at Jackson Hall, ready for photos.
- 7:45 am – Enter through back door for pictures (only candidates will be admitted through the back door). Pictures will be taken from 7:45-9:00 am. All guests must enter at 9:00 am when tickets are taken at the front door.
- 9:00 am – Mondavi doors open for guests. Guests are not allowed inside until doors open. We suggest you drive separately from your guests if you are arriving early for pictures.
- 9:15 am – Candidates will assemble, in academic dress, in the Studio. Fill out Hooder cards.
- 9:30 am – Doors to Jackson Hall open.
- 10:00 am – Commencement Ceremony
- 12:00 noon – Reception with light refreshments will take place in the Vanderhoef Theatre, Mondavi Center. Many graduates and family attend the reception for a short time prior to departing for family parties or lunch reservations.
•Contact the Office of Academic and Student Services, (530) 752-7658