Cover Letter Writing Guidelines & Templates
Career Development Resource
Effective cover letter writing techniques are paramount. This is usually the first correspondence you have with a potential employer and it should always be professional and accompanied by your resume. For help getting started, please view this short webinar before you begin drafting your cover letter using this template.
- with instructions.
- Resume and Cover Letter Submission Sample (.pdf)
- For Resume AND Cover Letter examples, please visit the GTS Document Library
The Basic Outline
City, ST Zip
Dear [Contact Name OR Hiring Manager],
- Briefly introduce yourself, your interest in the company, & the specific position/opening with a summary statement of who you are & why you are a strong fit for the position.
- Mention the names of individuals you have met from the company, and/or the event, or person who directed you to this position.
- Cite other research that prompted you to write, such as a recent article on the company or a positive networking interaction.
Body (Usually 1 or 2 paragraphs)
- Provide specific examples of your background that connect to the needs of the company and let the recruiter understand how you would “fit”.
- All skills need to include “evidence” (specific examples) that clearly demonstrate the how/why of development.
- Focus on your skills and accomplishments that match the job description.
- Show how your MBA adds to those skills.
- Make sure to show your knowledge of the industry and company.
- Restate & summarize your key skills & fit for this position.
- Let them know you are interested in further discussing the position with them.
- Provide all personal contact information.
- Always thank the reader for their time & consideration.
Enclosure(s) (If you send a resume or other materials)