Graduation Requirements, Curriculum and Concentrations
Requirements for Graduation and Resources to Complete Your Degree
To better meet the evolving management education needs of our students, the UC Davis Graduate School of Management faculty modified MBA degree requirements for graduation. For all MBA students admitted Fall 2014 or later, the Integrated Management Project (440) is a required core course.
If you have questions about an individual course, please check the course syllabus and/or contact the professor directly.
Requirements for Graduation
- Be exempted from, or pass with a grade of C- or better, all required courses.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 72 quarter units.
- Complete at least six quarters in residence at UC Davis.
- Satisfy the capstone requirement by receiving a grade of B- or better in 440, or passing 440 with a lower grade and also passing the comprehensive exam.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
Additional Graduation Notes:
- No more than 6 units total of Group/Independent Study (298/299), MBA Consulting Center projects (498) or Field Study (499) can be counted toward the 72-unit requirement.
- A candidacy form (2 pages), must be submitted by the appropriate quarterly deadline.
Required Core Courses
Areas of Concentration
You have the option to pursue a general management study or to choose a functional concentration guided by a suggested series of elective courses. Most students choose functional concentrations such as:
- Business Analytics
- General Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Technology Management
Candidacy Instructions and Forms
MBA Program Candidacy
Deadlines for 2017-2018
Completion of Degree
Forms due to Program Manager
|December 2017 (end of Fall 17)||August 24, 2017|
|March 2018 (end of Winter 18)||December 5, 2017|
|June 2018 (end of Spring 18)||March 13, 2018|
|September 2018 (end of Summer 18)||May 23, 2018|
*Please note: Failure to meet the posted deadline results in the $250 registration penalty being charged to your account and may result in a one quarter delay in receiving your diploma.
- All information must be legible.
- Complete candidacy – front and back.
- Signatures: Only your signature is required – on EACH of the two different pages. (Signature from the Dean will be obtained by Student Services when you have completed your degree.)
- Forms should be submitted no earlier than three weeks prior to the posted deadline. Forms received any earlier will be returned to students.
- Diplomas are available 18-20 weeks after the end of the quarter in which you completed your degree requirements.
- Diplomas are disbursed only through the Office of the University Registrar (not the GSM). You can request that your diploma be mailed by completing a request form (PDF) and submitting directly to the Office of the University Registrar or, if you prefer, it can be picked up in person at 3100 Dutton Hall.
Concurrent Degree Students
The GSM will accept up to 12 units of coursework from your other degree toward our 72 unit degree total. These “shared” units must be approved in advance. Please see the GSM Registrar for details.
The exception is the MBA/JD. See details below:
MBA/JD Joint Degree
200A – Financial Accounting
201A – Individual and Group Dynamics
201B – Organizational Strategy & Structure
202A – Markets & the Firm
203A – Data Analysis for Managers
204 – Marketing Management
205 – Financial Management & Policy
252 – Production & Operations Management
268 – Articulation & Critical Thinking
440 – Integrated Management Project
Electives: 25 quarter units of MGT elective course work
Joint MBA/Law students may not take 215 or 264 for credit toward the MBA.
Minimum GSM units required: 57 MBA units
10 semester units of law course work will count toward the MBA.