Graduation Requirements, Curriculum and Concentrations
Requirements for Graduation and Resources to Complete Your Degree
To better meet the evolving management education needs of our students, the UC Davis Graduate School of Management faculty modified MBA degree requirements for graduation. For Full-time students enrolled in Fall 2011 and after and Part-time students enrolled in Fall 2014 and after, the IMPACT is a required core course.
If you have questions about an individual course, please check the course syllabus and/or contact the professor directly.
Requirements for Graduation
- Complete the appropriate required courses (see below).
- Successfully complete 72 units.
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- No more than 6 units total of Group/Independent Study (298/299), MBA Consulting Center projects (498) or Field Study (499) can be counted toward the 72-unit requirement.
- If a student waives or tests out of a core course, he or she must complete additional elective coursework to replace the units.
- A candidacy form (2 pages), must be submitted by the appropriate quarterly deadline.
- At least six quarters in residence at UC Davis.
Required Core Courses
Areas of Concentration
You have the option to pursue a general management study or to choose a functional concentration guided by a suggested series of elective courses. Most students choose functional concentrations such as:
- Business Analytics
- General Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Technology Management
Candidacy Instructions and Forms
MBA Program Candidacy
Deadlines for 2015-2016
Completion of Degree Forms due to Program Manager
December 2016 (end of Fall 16) August 25, 2016
March 2017 (end of Winter 17) December 1, 2016
June 2017 (end of Spring 17) March 20, 2017
September 2017 (end of Summer 17) May 17, 2017
December 2017 (end of Fall 17) August 25, 2017
*Please note: Failure to meet the posted deadline results in the $250 registration penalty being charged to your account and may result in a one quarter delay in receiving your diploma.
- All information must be legible.
- Complete candidacy – front and back.
- Signatures: Only your signature is required – on EACH of the two different pages. (Signature from the Dean will be obtained by Student Services when you have completed your degree.)
- Forms should be submitted no earlier than three weeks prior to the posted deadline. Forms received any earlier will be returned to students.
- Diplomas are available 18-20 weeks after the end of the quarter in which you completed your degree requirements.
- Diplomas are disbursed only through the Office of the University Registrar (not the GSM). You can request that your diploma be mailed by completing a request form (PDF) and submitting directly to the Office of the University Registrar or, if you prefer, it can be picked up in person at 3100 Dutton Hall.
Concurrent Degree Students
The GSM will accept up to 12 units of coursework from your other degree toward our 72 unit degree total. These “shared” units must be approved in advance. Please see the GSM Registrar for details.
The exception is the MBA/JD. See details below:
MBA/JD Joint Degree
200A – Financial Accounting
201A – Individual and Group Dynamics
201B – Organizational Strategy & Structure
202A – Markets & the Firm
203A – Data Analysis for Managers
204 – Marketing Management
205 – Financial Management & Policy
240A, 240B – Projects Course
252 – Production & Operations Management
268 – Articulation & Critical Thinking
Electives: 27 quarter units of MGT elective course work
Jt. MBA/Law students may not take 215 or 264 for credit toward the MBA.
Minimum GSM units required: 57 MBA units
10 semester units of law course work will count toward the MBA.