UC Davis MBA Leadership Fellows Program (LFP)
For Part-time MBA students
The UC Davis Graduate School of Management is pleased to announce the kickoff of the 2016 Leadership Fellows Program for our part-time MBA students. This program is intended to help participants understand leadership, build self-awareness, and strengthen leadership capabilities. The Leadership Fellows Program is designed to complement the UC Davis MBA core curriculum and continue the school’s mission to prepare innovative leaders for global impact. This training series gives participants additional tools to boost both leadership skills and professional achievement.
Qualified students who are interested in the Leadership Fellows Program (LFP) will go through a selection process. The accepted cohort will consist of students from the Bay Area and Sacramento programs. To qualify, students must be:
- Currently enrolled in either the Bay Area or Sacramento MBA Program.
- Finished with all first year core coursework.
- In good academic standing.
This includes students that may complete their degree during the course of the Leadership Fellows Program. We will give preference to students who are closest to graduating.
The participants chosen for this program will attend at minimum four workshops, develop a personal Leadership Development Plan, and complete a 360° assessment. The 360° assessment will consist of a self-assessment, as well as ratings from eight to twelve raters selected by the student.
Participating students will:
- Attend the program kick-off workshop: Introduction to the UC Davis MBA Leadership Fellows Program.
- Complete a 360° assessment: The 360° assessment includes you and 8-12 professional colleagues completing a confidential survey that rates your skill level on the 23 leadership competencies of the UC Davis MBA Leadership Competency Model.
- Attend the 360° Assessment Results and Leadership Development Planning Workshop: In this session, the results of the assessment will be distributed and discussed, and participants will begin to draft their personal Leadership Development Plan.
- Attend two, three or all four of the remaining four workshops related to each competency section of the UC Davis MBA Leadership Competency Model. The workshops have been scheduled so they don’t conflict with any currently scheduled courses.
- Create a Leadership Development Plan using the template distributed in the 360° Assessment Results and Leadership Development Planning Workshop.
Applications are due Wednesday, December 16, 2015 and include:
- A current résumé
- A list of previous and current leadership activities
- An essay describing:
- Considering your personal and professional experience, describe what leadership means to you and why you want to join the program.
- What you hope to gain in your role as a Leadership Fellow.
Please submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Program Dates
- Submit Application: Wednesday, December 16
- Receive Program Decision: Monday, December 21
- Commit to Program: Wednesday, January 6
- Attend Introduction to the UC Davis MBA Leadership Fellows Program: Sunday, January 10, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. (Gallagher Hall, Davis – dinner will be served from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.)
- Submit List of 360° Raters: Friday, January 15
- Complete 360° Ratings: Monday, February 1
- Attend 360° Assessment Results and Leadership Development Planning Workshop: Sunday, February 28, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. (San Ramon – dinner will be served from 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.)
- Submit Leadership Development Plan: Friday, April 15
What is the Program Commitment?
During the program, fellows will attend four to six targeted workshops, create a personal Leadership Development Plan, and complete a 360° assessment.
Can I still apply if I graduate before the program ends?
Yes, as long as you were enrolled for at least one quarter in the year you apply, you are still eligible to participate.
Do I have to attend all workshops?
You must attend the first two workshops. Of the remaining four, you must attend two workshops focused on the four sections of the UC Davis MBA Leadership Competency Model. If you choose, you can attend all four of the remaining workshops, bringing your total workshop attendance to six.
How soon will I find out if I was accepted into the program?
We will notify all applicants by December 21, 2015.
Once notified of acceptance, what next steps must I take?
You will need to complete the program commitment form and turn it into your Program Manger by Wednesday, January 6, 2016. You then need to attend Workshop 1 and 2, and choose which of the remaining workshops you will to attend.
Where will the workshops be held?
Workshops will be held on the following afternoons:
Workshop 1 (Required): Introduction to the UC Davis MBA Leadership Fellows Program (LFP)
Sunday, January 10 from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Gallagher Hall, Davis
Workshop 2 (Required): 360° Assessment Results and Leadership Development Planning
Sunday, February 28 from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Workshop 3: Thought Competencies Workshop
Sunday, March 6 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Gallagher Hall, Davis
Workshop 4: People Competencies Workshop
Sunday, May 15 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Workshop 5: Results Competencies Workshop
Sunday, July 24 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Gallagher Hall, Davis
Workshop 6: Self Competencies Workshop
Sunday, November 6 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Can anyone enrolled in the MBA program attend the workshops?
No, the workshops will only be open to those who have been accepted into the LFP.
Can I earn academic credit by participating in the LFP?
No, the workshops will not count toward your graduation requirements.
What happens if I miss a workshop?
You will not be able to continue the program if you do not attend all required sessions.
Can I participate more than one year?
No, the program is not designed for participation more than once.
If I am not accepted the first year, can I try again the following year?
Candidates who are not selected in their first year can reapply. Preference will be given to students in their final year.
Who do I send my application materials to?
Please submit application materials to email@example.com.
Do I have to pay for the program?
No, it is included in course tuition fees.
Further questions should be directed to your Program Manager:
Sacramento MBA Program Manager
Bay Area MBA Program Manager