University of California Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
A Statewide Program within UC Agriculture and Natural Resources.
The UC Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program (SAREP) was created through the grass roots efforts of organizations and individuals concerned about the environmental impacts of agriculture, the health of rural communities, and the profitability of family farming operations in California.
At the request of the California legislature, the University of California established SAREP with three mandates:
- Administer competitive grants for research on sustainable agricultural practices and systems.
- Develop and distribute information through publications and on-farm demonstrations.
- Support long-term research and sustainable farming systems on UC farmlands.
- To assist California farmers and ranchers in developing and implementing sustainable production and marketing systems.
- To support California’s rural and urban communities in understanding the concept and value of sustainable agriculture and participating in sustainable food and agricultural systems.