Leaders for the Future
Creating leaders through immersives, scholarship, business skills and innovation
A cross-campus collaboration between the Office of Research, the Internship and Career Center, GradPathways (Graduate Studies) and the Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, this five-month program helps PhD candidates and postdoctoral scholars connect with applied experiences beyond academia through immersives (internships, job shadowing, projects) while supporting business skills development.
Leaders for the Future is designed for Ph.D. candidates and postdoctoral scholars who seek to engage in immersives (internships, job shadowing, projects). The program provides training in the skills needed to excel in diverse careers across industry, government and more.
Leaders for the Future provides immersive experiences (internships, job shadowing, short projects, etc.) outside of academia. Cutting-edge training in leadership skills, business communication, project management, innovation and entrepreneurship is provided to participants from all disciplines—including humanities, social sciences and STEM—through a series of workshops and other activities.
An information session was held on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, from noon to 1 p.m. in the Garrison Room, 2nd floor, Memorial Union.
Program Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for this program, applicants must be:
- Current UC Davis Ph.D. candidate or postdoctoral scholar (title codes 3252, 3253, or 3254) in any discipline.
- In a academic program or appointment for the duration of Leaders for the Future program (September 2017 – January 2018)
Priority will be granted to those applicants who articulate their intent to participate in an immersive experience.
Successful program completion requires:
- Attendance at all required program events (listed below).
- Closing presentation given at Closing Bootcamp.
|Opening Bootcamp||Thursday, September 7, 2017||9 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|UC Entrepreneurship Academy||September 12 – 14, 2017||8 a.m. – 9 p.m. (three days)|
|Workshop #1||Wednesday, September 27, 2017||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #2||Wednesday, October 4, 2017||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Workshop #3||Wednesday, October 18, 2017||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #4||Wednesday, November 1, 2017||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Workshop #5||Wednesday, November 15, 2017||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #6||Wednesday, December 6, 2017||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Closing Bootcamp||Saturday, January 20, 2018||9 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
How to Apply
Completed applications are due by 5 p.m. on May 15, 2017. There are two components to the application process. Interested candidates must:
- Complete the Leaders for the Future Application Form, which includes demographic information, two short-answer essay questions, and an uploaded resume or CV.
- Request their major professor or principal investigator complete the Leaders for the Future Recommendation Form and upload a letter of recommendation.
Program funding for Leaders for the Future is provided by the State of California through Assembly Bill 2664: University of California Innovation and Entrepreneurship Expansion.