Leaders for the Future
Creating leaders through scholarship, business skills and innovation
A cross-campus collaboration between the Office of Research, the Internship and Career Center, GradPathways (Graduate Studies) and the Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, this five-month program helps Ph.D. candidates and postdoctoral scholars develop skills, networks and opportunities to explore career paths outside of academia.
Leaders for the Future is designed for Ph.D. candidates and postdoctoral scholars who want to complement their academic accomplishments with the innovation and business skills needed to excel in diverse careers across industry, government and more. The program provides cutting-edge development in leadership skills, business communication, project management, innovation and entrepreneurship to participants from all disciplines—including humanities, social sciences and STEM—through a series of workshops and other activities. In addition, the program provides career exploration tools and opportunities to connect with immersive experiences (internships, job shadowing, short projects, etc.) outside of academia.
Join us on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, from noon to 1 p.m. in the Garrison Room, 2nd floor, Memorial Union to learn more about this exciting program.
Program Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for this program, applicants must be:
- Current UC Davis Ph.D. candidate or postdoctoral scholar (title codes 3252, 3253, or 3254) in any discipline.
- In a academic program or appointment for the duration of Leaders for the Future program (September 2017 – January 2018)
Successful program completion requires:
- Attendance at all required program events (listed below).
- Closing presentation given at Closing Bootcamp.
|Opening Bootcamp||Thursday, September 7, 2017||9 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|UC Entrepreneurship Academy||September 12 – 14, 2017||8 a.m. – 9 p.m. (three days)|
|Workshop #1||Wednesday, September 27, 2017||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #2||Wednesday, October 4, 2017||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Workshop #3||Wednesday, October 18, 2017||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #4||Wednesday, November 1, 2017||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Workshop #5||Wednesday, November 15, 2017||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #6||Wednesday, December 6, 2017||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Closing Bootcamp||Saturday, January 20, 2018||9 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
How to Apply
Completed applications are due by 5 p.m. on May 15, 2017. There are two components to the application process. Interested candidates must:
- Complete the Leaders for the Future Application Form, which includes demographic information, two short-answer essay questions, and an uploaded resume or CV.
- Request their major professor or principal investigator complete the Leaders for the Future Recommendation Form and upload a letter of recommendation.
Program funding for Leaders for the Future is provided by the State of California through Assembly Bill 2664: University of California Innovation and Entrepreneurship Expansion.