Women @ UC Davis
“Leadership happens every moment of every day. You always have an opportunity to influence what other people do and why they do it by being a role model. I help students understand their leadership strengths and weaknesses, pushing them to work outside of their comfort zones—for instance, by encouraging those who are not ‘natural leaders’ to take the initiative.”
- The Individual & Group Dynamics
- Negotiation in Organizations
- Business Policy and Strategy
Research Expertise: Leadership in organizations; perception and management of individual and organizational images; identities and reputations, especially images of legitimacy, trustworthiness and creativity
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Stanford University
- M.S., Industrial and Management Engineering University of Iowa
- B.S., Industrial and Management Engineering University of Iowa
- International Research Fellow, Centre for Corporate Reputation, Oxford University
- NCAA Faculty Athletics Representative and National Champion Masters Swimmer
- Past UC Davis Chancellor’s Fellow
- Globally visible expert in organizational behavior
Professor Kimberly Elsbach focuses her research on the acquisition and maintenance of organizational images, identities and reputations, especially images of legitimacy, trustworthiness and creativity. She also teaches and studies negotiation skills in competitive business environments. Her research provides a framework for communicating with shareholders, customers and employees in the immediacy of a reputation crisis and through long-term recovery. In papers published in the Harvard Business Review and the Academy of Management Journal, Elsbach showed how Hollywood movie and television producers judge the creativity of people pitching story ideas.
Research Expertise: Empirical analysis of quantitative and qualitative field-based data as well as survey data to study:
540 Alumni Ln
Sue Miller-Sylvia has 25 years of experience in consulting, information systems design, development and implementation with organizations in the education, government, finance, media and entertainment, aerospace, insurance, retail and travel and transportation industries.
“Great leaders embrace opportunities to learn and grow each day and challenge and empower everyone around them to do the same.”
B.A., Sociology, University of California, Berkeley
The UC Davis MBA provided me with unequaled knowledge and experience. The small class sizes and case-study based approach encourage personal accountability and promote teamwork—both critical to my career in management.