Strategy Boot Camp: Complex Problem Identification and Communication Skills
Presented by: Joanne Bethlahmy, JD/MBA, Lecturer and 2017 Robert A. Fox Executive-in-Residence
UC Davis Graduate School of Management
How are strategy consultants from firms like McKinsey or Bain able to deeply understand a company’s complex business issues so quickly – and then communicate their findings persuasively to senior management?
Current Dates and Locations for this program
- December 8, 2017 – UC Davis Campus, Davis, CA
- May 22, 2018 – Bay Area Campus, San Ramon, CA
- December 7, 2018 – UC Davis Campus, Davis, CA
About Strategy Boot Camp: Complex Problem Identification and Communication Skills
- problem statements or ‘SCQs’
- solving the right problem
- reframing questions to generate more value
The second two hours will be focused on how to logically decompose the problem statement into the key issues to be researched and analyzed:
- issue trees and hypothesis trees
- MECE logic
- common issue tree frameworks
- using issue trees to organize team projects and set up later presentations
We will spend the final two hours learning how to use the Minto Pyramid Principle to persuasively communicate findings and recommendations:
- the Answer, Key Line Statements and Evidence document structure
- using inductive versus deductive logic
- applying Minto principles to every page
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who are responsible for leading major projects and teams
- Individuals who work on cross-functional issues, new products or ventures
Learning Objectives & Program Benefits
Company initiatives can be quite complex in this time of massive change, raising issues that cross functions, processes, countries or industries. This program will give managers a way to simplify and organize their approach to complex problems, leading to more thorough and successful recommendations, speedier and more efficient teams, and more impactful presentations.
- Continental Breakfast: 8:00-9:00am
- Morning Session: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Working / Networking Lunch: 12:00-1:30pm
- Afternoon Session: 1:30-4:30pm
The registration fee for this one-day program is $1,500.
- Fee includes all program materials, education fees, continental breakfast, lunch and snacks
- Special pricing available to UC Davis alumni.
- Group pricing rates are available if registering two or more people from the same company at the same time.
Our Cancellation Policy: