Leaders for the Future
Creating leaders through immersives, scholarship, business skills and innovation
A cross-campus collaboration between the Office of Research, the Internship and Career Center, GradPathways (Graduate Studies) and the Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, this five-month program helps Ph.D. candidates and postdoctoral scholars connect with applied experiences beyond academia through immersives (internships, job shadowing, projects) while supporting business skills development.
Leaders for the Future is designed for Ph.D. candidates and postdoctoral scholars who seek to engage in immersives (internships, job shadowing, projects). The program provides training in the skills needed to excel in diverse careers across industry, government and more.
Leaders for the Future provides immersive experiences (internships, job shadowing, short projects, etc.) outside of academia. Cutting-edge training in leadership skills, business communication, project management, innovation and entrepreneurship is provided to participants from all disciplines—including humanities, social sciences and STEM—through a series of workshops and other activities.
An information session will be held on Tuesday, October 3, 2017, from noon – 1 p.m. in the DeCarli Room, 2nd floor, Memorial Union.
Program Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for this program, applicants must be:
- Current UC Davis Ph.D. candidate or postdoctoral scholar (title codes 3252, 3253 or 3254) in any discipline.
- In an academic program or appointment for the duration of Leaders for the Future program (February – May 2018).
Priority will be granted to those applicants who articulate their intent to participate in an immersive experience.
Successful program completion requires:
- Attendance at all required program events (listed below).
- Closing presentation given at Closing Bootcamp.
|Attend closing presentations of
|Thursday, January 20, 2018||6 – 8 p.m.|
|Opening Bootcamp||Thursday, February 1, 2018||9 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
|Food, Ag + Health Entrepreneurship Academy||February 6-8, 2018||8 a.m. – 9 p.m. (three days)|
|Workshop #1||Tuesday, February 20, 2018||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #2||Tuesday, March 6, 2018||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Workshop #3||Tuesday, March 13, 2018||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #4||Tuesday, March 20, 2018||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Workshop #5||Tuesday, April 3, 2018||5 – 7 p.m. (dinner)|
|Workshop #6||Tuesday, April 17, 2018||Noon – 2 p.m. (lunch)|
|Closing Bootcamp||Saturday, May 19, 2018||9 a.m. – 8 p.m.|
How to Apply
Completed applications are due by 5 p.m. on October 23, 2017. There are three components to the application process. Interested candidates must:
- Complete the Leaders for the Future Application Form, two short-answer essay questions, and upload their resume or CV.
- Request their major professor or principal investigator complete the Leaders for the Future Recommendation Form and upload a letter of recommendation.
- For those selected, complete an in-person interview (November 6 – 17, 2017).
Program funding for Leaders for the Future is provided by the State of California through Assembly Bill 2664: University of California Innovation and Entrepreneurship Expansion.