Administrative Operations Assistant
Under general supervision of the Director of Administration and Human Resources, serve in Graduate School of Management Administrative Operations Unit. Process complex business contracts, revenue agreements and purchase requisitions for the School utilizing Kuali. Prepare personnel actions in PPS; maintain personnel files; conduct new employee orientations; and prepare vacancy listings. Serve as payroll specialist for bi-weekly and monthly timekeeper using the On-Line Time Reporting System (OPTRS) and the UC Davis Time Reporting System (TRS). Perform general accounting transactions including entertainment, travel, honoraria, credit card transactions, cash collections, expense transfers and other transactions using university accounting system. Coordinate, prepare and manage contracts and grants.
35% PERSONNEL/PAYROLL AND BENEFITS
Process employee personnel transactions. Maintain personnel files. Prepare vacancy listings and maintain close coordination with Human Resources, Grad Studies, Student Aid Accounting and Student Employment departments. Process and update staff position descriptions and post recruitment using the UCD position management and recruitment system, PeopleAdmin. Process payroll expense transfers. Ensure compliance related to UC and contractual policy, providing instruction and guidance.
Apply all union contract and UC personnel policy for all actions. Ensure transactions are completed with high degree of accuracy and within the applicable policy, procedures and authorizations. Maintain auditable records of transactions. Complete mandated paperwork. Schedule new hire orientation. Provide guidance on employee benefits options. Maintain strict confidentiality to protect privacy and rights of individuals. Participate in ongoing evaluation of unit procedures; recommend improvements for ensuring best practices. Collect and record time sheets, leave usage and overtime data. Provide reconciliation, monitoring, and corrections to time and leave reporting. Document payroll processes, update changes. Monitor hours worked by limited-term staff toward career status, alert designated staff before threshold is reached.
35% BUSINESS/REVENUE AGREEMENTS AND PURCHASING
Responsible for highly complex business contracts, revenue agreements and purchase requisitions for a wide range of services, supplies and equipment. Work with purchasing to prepare scope of work and vendor lists for competitive bidding processes. Serve as advisor and resource for less complex purchases using UCD purchasing card. Verify funding source and availability. Enter detailed contract/order information into database, and follow up to ensure that bids and contracts are executed in accordance with agreements. Maintain logbooks and files to ensure accurate records. Ensure that all controls are in place for purchasing card transactions. Act as liaison on orders/contracts that are incomplete, incorrect, damaged, not consistent with the scope of work, or otherwise unsatisfactory. Maintain current information on agreements, continuing commodities and service blankets.
25% TRAVEL, ENTERTAINMENT, ACCOUNTS PAYABLE AND ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT
Process entertainment expenses and travel expenses (AggieTravel), honoraria, cash collections, vendor invoices, direct charges, expense transfers and other transactions using Kuali. Process credit card transactions. Prepare and send information on allowable removal expenses, coordinate and reconcile reimbursements and payments. Serve as a resource and advisor on policy and procedure for staff processing travel expense reports. Generate detailed accounting reports. Develop/adapt optimal/effective departmental processes and procedures. Coordinate space moves; prepare and send information on allowable removal expenses, arrange moving company; and reconcile reimbursements and payments. Participate in miscellaneous projects. Assist with miscellaneous School projects as requested by Director, Assistant Dean, and Dean. Assist with miscellaneous duties as assigned.
5% GRANT PREPARATION/PROCESSING/MANAGEMENT
Prepare, analyze and revise contract and grant applications and budgets as directed by faculty with attention to agency funding guidelines and UC policy. Develop, implement and manage detailed, accurate and timely financial accounting using general accounting principles, using Kuali. Organize and implement awarded contracts and grants, including budget projections, personnel assignments, accurate documentation and records management.
- Work with frequent interruptions in a high volume, fast-paced environment.
- Work occasional overtime.
- Restricted vacation during peak periods.
- Work under constant deadlines.
- Work in a customer service oriented team environment.
- Accounting, personnel and payroll experience.
- Knowledge of general accounting, personnel/payroll, benefits, purchasing, business contracts/agreements, and competitive bidding.
- Experience using automated financial, payroll and personnel systems.
- Analytical skills to identify/research/resolve accounting, personnel, and payroll problems; skills to analyze reports and reconcile departmental records.
- Experience with various computer applications–word processing and spreadsheet such as Word and Excel.
- Experience using email, internet, calendaring/scheduling software and newsgroups.
- Grammar, editing, and proofreading skills to compose and prepare business correspondence, forms, and reports; attention to detail.
- Interpersonal, oral, and written skills to communicate and interact in a clear and professional manner.
- Organizational skills to work independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines; maintain a high level of productivity.
- Customer service skills.
- Mathematical and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of UC policies, procedures, and processes.
- Experience using Kualil, Payroll Personnel System (PPS) On-Line time Reporting systems (OPTRS), and AggieTravel.
- Knowledge of contract and grant administration principles, and federal research policies and practices. Experience in contract and grant administration.