Business Development Manager, MSBA
INDUSTRY ALLNS SPEC 3
The Business Development Manager, Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) under direction of the Executive Director, MSBA and in close concert with the Academic Director, MSBA and Director of Analytics Projects, MSBA and In collaboration with faculty instructors and corporate clients, and corporate strategy develops practicum consulting projects for the UC Davis Master of Science in Business Analytics Program. Responsible for building relationships with the business community and leveraging these relationships to match student team projects, as well as other GSM programs, to corporate partners’ needs.
Partner with the faculty instructors of the practicum course to ensure projects meet the expectations of the corporate sponsor and that students are gaining the experience they need to be successful in the corporate world. Provide general support for the effective and efficient implementation of the practicum course. In addition, the incumbent will also support the overall school corporate relations strategy to secure opportunities that enhance the full-cycle of the program experience. This candidate will also provide career development support to students to help them actualize their career goals to reality.
60% Business Development, Project Acquisition and Sponsor
Management Consistent with the GSM’s strategic plan, the Business Development Manager, MSBA develops and executes a comprehensive strategic and tactical plan to build relationships with the business community and secure student consulting projects for the MSBA Practicum Projects course. This candidate will work closely with the Academic Director, MSBA and Director of Analytics Projects, MSBA and MSBA faculty as they structure, assess, vet and select projects for execution. Scope of work includes but is not limited to:
- Meeting with student teams and faculty instructors to understand student interests and areas of expertise.
- Identifying strategic corporate partners, acquires practicum agreements and cultivates relationships with senior executives to develop and secure appropriate MSBA-level projects to meet the needs of the program.
- Developing project with corporate sponsors (scope in collaboration with the Academic Director, MSBA and Director of Analytics Projects), supporting project preparation and launch, and interfacing with clients to ensure open and constructive communication and feedback, translating a prospective client’s needs into a succinct research questions, and assessing the client/project suitability for the MSBA Practicum course.
- Negotiating and concluding agreements, including qualifying donations, from project sponsors. Interfacing with the team faculty advisor to maintain the client relationship throughout the entirety of the practicum experience, and helping facilitate addressing any barriers to team productivity.
- Maintaining general awareness of student performance and project development so that they ensure continuity of the relationship across multiple years
40% Corporate Relations Strategy and Career Development Support
- Collaborates with the Executive Director, MSBA and Associate Director, MSBA to help enhance opportunities for MSBA collaboration that touches on the full-life cycle of the program experience that spans admissions, student engagement, and placement. Goals include the development of a network of strategic partnerships with corporate and non-profit entities to:
- Understand the evolving demand for consulting projects and to cultivate a pipeline of interest in current and future student consulting projects.
- Secure potential speakers for classes, student events, career fairs and clients for hackathons Create pipelines for admissions of prospective candidates.
- Generate intelligence on the hiring process and secure relationships to help with student placement in career positions
- Support MSBA students in their career search as requested by the team via engagements that may include, but is not limited to conducting workshops sharing market intelligence to one-on-one student career support.
- Valid California driver’s license required. Ability to stand continuously (up to 6 hours with regular scheduled breaks) during events.
- Ability to lift supplies and materials weighing up to 25 lbs.
- This position is based in San Francisco, but has required periodic travel to client locations throughout the bay area, potentially locations nationwide, as well as the Davis campus.
- Working hours are generally Monday-Friday from 8-5 pm. At times there will be variability with evening or weekend events to facilitate connections with clients or students.
- UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
- Equivalent to an undergraduate degree in business or in a STEM field from an accredited institution.
- Three years or more of excellence in business development and working with corporate and\or non-profit entities to cultivate interest in programs, and develop mutually-beneficial long-term partnerships.
- Proven record of accomplishment in achieving aggressive financial, fundraising, or business goals.
- Skilled relationship manager who can establish and maintain strong connections with corporate and nonprofit officers and senior leaders in a professional manner that promotes a positive image of the school.
- Excellent written, interpersonal communication and presentation skills. Experience at maintaining a high degree of discretion, integrity and sensitivity to confidentiality and privacy. Skills at handling difficult situations diplomatically.
- Analytical skills to assess the status of projects to develop alternative solutions and devise project improvements
MBA or other graduate degree in a business or STEM field from an accredited institution.
Adept in developing and executing a high-level strategy, involving multiple constituents with skills to bring together a range of perspectives and opinions and move toward consensus.
Experience in project management including designing and defining a scope of work and deliverables schedule for the appropriate period and needs of the client.
Experience managing client relationships and client expectations. Experience in working with supporting students in their career development goals from creating and presenting workshops to one-on-one coaching.