Content Writer/Editor – Marketing and Communications Team
Writer Editor 3
We seek a talented storyteller with a proven knack for writing compelling articles, profiles, research-based spotlights, blogs and video scripts. A wordsmith wiz with experience crafting creative content, headlines, teasers, social posts and enewsletter copy. This content writer/editor role will also manage the many voices contributing to our school blog, and project manage content for distribution through web, social media, e-newsletters or other channels and platforms. We’re seeking candidates with a professional background in journalism combined with marketing experience, especially previously in higher education
The position reports to the Graduate School of Management’s (GSM) executive director of marketing and communications.
The Content Writer/Editor will become embedded in the GSM community, writing byline articles and providing editorial advice to contributing students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors and business leaders. This role serves as managing editor of the GSM’s blog, overseeing the writing and editing of posts and engaging voices across our community. Stories include student and alumni profiles, features, faculty research in action, op-eds, and management education and business-related trends. Emphasis on collaborating with our team on creative layout/visuals of online content, both institution and community-generated from around the world, in a fast paced newsroom-like environment.
Will team up with web director, social media specialist and videographer on special projects with maximum impact through all GSM communications channels. Work collaboratively with campus Strategic Communication’s News and Media Relations on media releases based on faculty research, appointments and other school news.
The UC Davis Graduate School of Management is consistently ranked among the premier business schools in the United States and internationally. The school’s faculty members are globally renowned for their teaching excellence and pioneering research. With prime locations in Northern California’s economic hubs, the UC Davis provides a bold, innovative approach to management education focused on collaborative leadership in our Full-Time MBA and Master of Professional Accountancy at the UC Davis campus, and Part-Time MBA in Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area, and Master of Science in Business Analytics in San Francisco. The school offers custom executive educations programs as well as many strategic opportunities for corporations, executives, and entrepreneurs to connect, partner, and develop talent. Centers of Excellence include the UC Davis Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Department Specific Job Scope:
The Graduate School of Management (GSM) Marketing and Communications team has a mission to steward and enhance the School’s brand and share our story through compelling content, across multiple channels. We coordinate these communications across platforms to reach our audiences, focusing on our award-winning website at the hub.
50% Content Development, Writing and Editing
Under general supervision, research, write, edit and assist in the production of original and compelling stories for website, marketing collateral, drafting media releases, announcements, presentations, event invitations, e-newsletters, publications, video and social media. Re-purpose existing digital assets and material as needed for other projects.
Responsible for researching and brainstorming ideas, interviewing faculty, students, and other sources for articles, and writing news articles, profiles and features, while collaborating with Marketing and Communications team and other departments for creative ways to publish and promote. Key to this is knack for writing compelling and creative headlines, teasers, social content and e-newsletter leads.
Learn web Drupal content management system and email platform to create and update web pages and e-newsletters, evites and other announcements as needed. Other responsibilities may include special writing assignments and video story development.
25% Strategic Marketing and Communications
In collaboration with Marketing and Communication team, the dean and other internal and external stakeholders, the role analyzes and develops communication strategies (including key message development and target audience identification) that broaden awareness of the UC Davis Graduate School of Management, our programs and people in key markets regionally, nationally and internationally. Assist in tailoring communication strategies to specific audiences. Proactively recommend changes to marketing communication strategies based on data and resource trade-offs. Collaborate on projects directly with University’s Strategic Communications, as well as external vendors. Ensure that publications and Web pages meet Graduate School of Management quality standards, and UC Davis policy and procedures and editorial standards.
25% Project Management
Collaborate with Marketing and Communications colleagues, as well as relevant internal and external staff and resources, in the timely delivery of communications across multiple channels. Anticipate and build project timelines, manage production processes and deliverables, ensure the accountability and timeliness of all project participants. Using web-based Basecamp and SmartSheet project management tools, document key project tasks, deadlines and deliverables. Support continuity of communication and relationships and efficiency of production among team members—web, video, enewsletters and social.
Sit for extended periods of time viewing computer screen and using a keyboard.
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. with work occasional weekends, evenings and during news events. Ability to travel around the Graduate School of Management’s Davis, Sacramento, San Ramon and San Francisco program locations and beyond as needed.
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space. Additional information and specifics regarding the policy are available at http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/index.html.
- Professional experience and background in journalism.
- Experience to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to our target audiences.
- Experience blogging or editing blog or blog marketing.
- Skills to write engaging content and learn to post to our website and to collaborate on social media strategy.
- Skills to write using multiple story forms (stories, infoboxes, photo slideshows, video scripts), and compelling and creative headlines, teasers, social content, e-newsletter leads.
- Thorough research and fact-checking verification skills.
- Experience reporting and conducting interviews for publication.
- Skills to juggle multiple assignments, both small and large, and to manage workload appropriately.
- Skills to write quickly, yet accurately, and to produce content on a daily basis.
- Experience editing for story substance/flow and also copy editing others’ work.
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation.
- Openness to editing, and critique of work, and skills to rework copy to incorporate editing suggestions.
- Extreme attention to detail, project management and organizational skills.
- Thorough interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills.
- Thorough analytical and critical thinking skills. Skill to maintain confidentiality.
- Time management skills. Skills to handle multiple projects under deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, working with a variety of people in gathering information for stories.
- Skills to maintain a positive connection with the university community, guests, visitors and the general public.
- Business and/or higher education reporting experience.
- Substantial editing or copy editing experience.
Preferred Qualifications for Selection:
- Knowledge of the academic and research enterprises and skills in deciphering technical research information and findings.
- Knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, web production, and/or video production. (e.g. Web content management system (Drupal), Mail Chimp or similar email solution, blogging platforms).
- Demonstrated portfolio of work that includes storytelling across multiple media (example: script-writing, narration or production of videos; involvement in content generation for data visualizations/graphics/images).
- Ability to work collaboratively with writers, editors, print and Web designers, admissions, development and alumni relations professionals to produce effective and compelling digital storytelling.
- Ability to learn, understand and work effectively within campus editorial, Web and graphic standards.
- Understanding of the structure, culture and mission of higher education institutions (with a particular emphasis on UC Davis) and the mission of the Graduate School of Management.