ALUMNI EXTERNAL REL SPEC 4
This position will post for 6 weeks. Applicants will be screened after two weeks; and then on a weekly basis. The position can be filled prior to the removal date.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Development and External Relations, design, develop, deliver, and administer the Graduate School of Management’s alumni engagement program, annual fundraising programs, and special giving initiatives.
- Responsible for activities associated with reaching, serving, and engaging external constituencies, including alumni and corporate partners, through program, events, and services.
- Serve as the Executive Director of the GSM’s Alumni Association Advisory Board by managing activities and mobilizing their engagement.
- Translate constituent needs and priorities into customized programs to create, enhance and sustain relationships between campus and its external constituencies.
- Work closely with admissions, career development and executive education offices to maximize alumni outreach, engagement and volunteer opportunities. Manage requests for alumni participation in School activities.
- Working in collaboration with the University’s annual giving staff, strategize, plan, schedule, and implement the School’s annual giving program and moderate-sized fundraising initiatives.
- Work closely with the School’s Marketing and Communication Department and event coordinators to develop content, materials, marketing plans, and related programs/events to engage, cultivate, steward, and solicit donor prospects
- Analyze and lead short and long-range strategic planning for the alumni relations and annual giving programs. Participate in the department’s strategic planning.
- Design, organize and implement special events.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of support staff and/or other professionals.
60% ALUMNI RELATIONS, VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT & STUDENT ADVISING
- Serve as the Executive Director of the GSM Alumni Association Board, being their primary point of contact providing direction, leadership & support. Lead & coordinate the annual nomination & selection processes for both the GSM Alumni Award and Student Fellowship Awards, including coordinating staff support & managing volunteers.
- Lead four board committees of Nominating, Engagement, Fundraising and Women in Leadership.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the GSM & its alumni population.
- Create opportunities for alumni to interact with students, faculty, Student Affairs, Admissions, Executive Education & Career Development. Work with the University’s International Development Director & Cal Aggie Alumni Assoc. Director of International Alumni Programs to develop & execute a global engagement strategy for the GSM’s international alumni. Serve as the GSM’s liaison to the CAAA & participate in the campus Alumni Council.
- Develop strategies to increase participation in the Alumni Association activities. Work with volunteers to coordinate alumni-driven events including graduating student outreach; reunions; annual GSM & university alumni events.
- Track constituent engagement & increase the year-over-year percentage of participation in School-related events & activities.
- Collaborate with GSM Development Operations staff & event coordinators to plan & manage alumni & business partner networking events.
- Mentor & advise students on engaging alumni in club activities, best practices on hosting events & GSM external relations policies & expectations.
- Work to establish relationships with students through orientation activities, helping with a mentoring program, and involvement in the GSM Student Association.
- Educate students & alumni on the importance of giving back & cultivate them for participation in activities & annual giving.
- Identify prospects who should be managed as major gift donor prospects.
- Develop an annual business plan & analyze results.
- Work on special projects that engage students and alumni such as mentoring and leadership programs.
- Work with Marcom staff to develop content for alumni e-news, e-magazine and social media.
- Utilize the University’s database to manage alumni records in accordance with university policies & the Office of Development & Alumni Relations operating procedures & practices.
- Coordinate outreach, as appropriate.
40% ANNUAL FUND & SPECIAL GIFT FUNDRAISING MANAGEMENT
- Work with the central development office to ensure that all aspects of the development programs are consistent with university policies & the policies, practices & standards of UC Davis University Development.
- Collaborate with the Office of Central Development to strategize & execute annual solicitation messaging to GSM alumni for approximately 4 direct mail pieces, 8 email solicitations, one stewardship video & the student telephone outreach program.
- Participate in the Give Day Committee as the lead GSM representative.
- Manage the GSM’s Class Ambassador Program, which includes alumni volunteers who communicate messages to classmates such as events & annual giving appeals.
- Retain & recruit class ambassadors for each GSM program/graduation year.
- Serve as staff liaison for graduating student class gift campaigns.
- Work closely with 5 class gift committees to plan & implement their campaigns.
- Review materials for accuracy, adherence to campus policy & appropriate content.
- Manage & oversee the School’s Business Partner Program.
- Manage relationships to maximize the engagement businesses have with the GSM.
- Lead the GSM’s annual faculty/staff giving campaign.
- Work in shared office space with constant telephone and in-person interruptions. May, at times, work a flexible schedule.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience.
- Experience using research, analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills and sound judgment to correctly identify real and potential problems, advise management as required, propose effective strategic resolutions.
- Experience developing and executing a strategic comprehensive plan.
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Project and event management experience in planning, execution, and analysis, including meeting deadlines, and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of annual fundraising, donor relations and public relations concepts, principles, techniques, procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of the university, its achievements, vision, mission, goals, objectives, applicable policies, infrastructure and current issues of concern and knowledge of issues of concern for higher education generally.
- Experience using social media to increase awareness of events/activities and to enhance the reputation of the School.