Feeding the world is a critical challenge as the population continues to grow, resources remain finite and the environment is vulnerable. Our Food and Agriculture Industry Immersion is focused on innovation, combining our business expertise and corporate partner network with UC Davis’ global leadership in food, nutrition, and agriculture.
It's a transformational educational experience unlike any other. You will have the chance to learn about the many facets of the food and agriculture industry from experts at UC Davis, which is consistently ranked the best agricultural school in the U.S. and world.
You will immerse yourself in live case studies and interact with top industry executives to better understand the complex forces shaping and driving this industry that have game-changing importance on local, national and global levels. Leverage UC Davis' global leadership in food and agriculture to advance your career.
“The Food and Ag Industry Immersion has been my most rewarding learning experience.”
– Laudan Yavari, MBA 19
With a focus on innovation, you'll learn about:
- State of the food industry and future challenges
- Seed research and food innovation
- Global supply chain management
- AgTech innovation
- Role of big data in consumerism
- Food innovation and impact of organics
- Developing brands for shifting consumer demand
- Innovation in food waste, preservation and recycling
- Corporate approaches to food waste management
“This was a great chance to see what some of the ag and food businesses are doing regarding food waste.” – Sara Pace, Business Development Fellow
- Tied to a university that is ranked No. 1 in the U.S. and No. 2 globally for agriculture
- Series of elective courses:
- Company Visits (1-unit), Fall quarter
Tour regional food and ag firms, learn about agtech and business models.
- Industry Immersion – Executive Speakers
(3-unit, Winter quarter)
Five, full-day sessions led by food and agribusiness top executives.
- Food & Ag Seminar (1-unit), Spring quarter
Students present their own case studies to peers
- Company Visits (1-unit), Fall quarter
- Hands-on experiences as part of MBA-agricultural sciences team
- Close proximity to Sacramento, America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital
- Led by food and agriculture expert Julie Morris, former director of technology innovation for the UC Davis World Food Center
- Merit-based scholarships are available to incoming MBA admits annually.
Recent Executive Speakers
- H. Rao Unnava, Dean, UC Davis Graduate School of Management
- Harold Schmitz, March Fund, Former Chief Scientific Officer, Mars, Inc.
- Ejnar Knudsen, Co-Founder & CEO, AGR Partners
- Justin Shimek, CEO & CTO, Mattson
- John Foraker, CEO & Co‐Founder, Once Upon A Farm
- David Warter, Director of Spirit Making, E. & J. Gallo Winery
- Matthew Weeks, Senior Manager, Co-Manufacturing and Sourcing, E. & J. Gallo Winery
- Andres Trillo, Vice President, Global Head of Human Resources, HM.CLAUSE
- Ghis Reusken, Vice President, Global Head of Supply Chain, HM.CLAUSE
- Nancy Quan, Senior Vice President and Chief Technical Officer, The Coca‐Cola Company
- Betsy Tse, Director, Natural Health Beverages, The Coca‐Cola Company
- Ned Spang, Associate Director, UC Davis Center for Water‐Energy Efficiency, and Assistant Professor, UC Davis
- Dan Kurzrock, Co-Founder and Chief Grain
- Hussain Sharifi, Specialist Consultant, McKinsey & Company
- Keith Knopf, President & CEO, Raley’s Supermarkets
- Deirdre Zimmerman, Chief Customer Experience Officer, Raley’s Supermarkets
- Bruce Rominger, President, Rominger Brothers Farms, Inc.
Food & Agriculture Advisory Council
- Vincent Asiago, Director, R&D Portfolio and Innovation, HM.CLAUSE
- Soren Bjorn, President, Driscoll’s of the Americas
- Mark Borman, President, Taylor Farms
- Jack Clare MBA 04, Chief Information Officer, UNFI
- Greg Estep, Managing Director and CEO, Spices, Olam International
- John Foraker BS 86, Co-Founder and CEO, Once Upon A Farm
- Ejnar Knudsen, CEO and Managing Director, AGR Partners
- Nancy Quan, Senior Vice President and Chief Technical Innovation Officer, The Coca-Cola Company
- Harold Schmitz, Founding Partner, The March Fund
- Justin Siegel BS 05, Associate Professor, Chemistry, Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine and Faculty Director, Innovation Institute for Food and Health
- Deirdre Zimmerman, Chief Customer Experience Officer, Raley’s