MSBA Assistant Director
ADMISSIONS RECRMT SPEC 2
Final Filing Date: 08-22-2019
Reporting to the MSBA Executive Director, and working with the MSBA Academic Director, and collaborating with the Graduate School of Management admissions team, responsible for outreach, recruiting and admissions for graduate students in the UC Davis Master of Science in Business Analytics. This top-10 analytics program is based in San Francisco and draws high-caliber candidates around the world.
- Assist with strategy development and implementation.
- Represents admissions at off-site events.
- Provide comprehensive, in-depth MSBA program information through individual counseling meetings, group information sessions, admissions workshops, webinars and panel discussions to a diverse population of potential students.
- Support applicant processing and review, including interviewing candidates.
- Convert MSBA prospects into applicants and admits into enrolls.
- Provide high-level administrative support for admissions events, activities and programs.
80% RECRUITING & ADMISSIONS
- Work with the Executive Director to identify the MSBA admissions strategy and tactics, and lead on the execution.
- Manage interactions with high-customer service and empathy, between GSM and prospective MSBA applicants from first impressions (often through a marketing initiative) to communicating the admission committee’s decision.
- Recruiter for MSBA program. Develop and execute recruiting, admissions and enrollment programs. Manage the complex MSBA admissions application, screening, interview, decision, and notification processes to meet enrollment targets.
- Create and cultivate key partnerships with key corporations, government institutions, not-for-profit organizations, student clubs and professional groups to ensure a high-caliber and steady flow of applicants, with an emphasis on the domestic market.
- Collect and maintain program and market data to measure admissions funnel status and performance.
- Work with Marketing on communication and promotions such as MSBA website and marketing collateral including FAQ lists, flyers, etc.
- Operate Admissions information system (TargetX), monitor dashboards for applicant status, manage alerts and proactively identify high-value applicants.
- Assist Admissions Committee in evaluating applicants based on academic background, test scores, experience, career goals and other attributes; and interviewing candidates to assess focus and communication skills.
- Plan and execute admissions events including individual meetings, applicant workshops, in-person and online information sessions, development functions, club and organization partnerships, etc.
- Serve as primary MSBA contact for prospective students, UCD community, and other educational and professional institutions.
20% MSBA PROGRAM SUPPORT
- Stand ready to assist program colleagues and faculty as evolving situations require. Serve as a back-up support for student services and operations, filling in as needed in working with staff, students and faculty to ensure smooth program operations and delivery. Related tasks include: covering support services for students, faculty and operations as needed, helping with events that range from panel discussions to major corporate speaker events, working with the team on an intensive month-long orientation, and other projects for the MSBA program.
- Work occasional overtime, including some weekends and evenings, sometimes on short notice to meet operational needs. This position runs Monday-Thursday, 8-5 pm (except when events occur) and on Fridays from 10-7 pm.
- Travel, including overnight, in state and nationally. This position is based in San Francisco, but has intermittent travel to Davis.
- Valid California driver’s license required
- UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- University-level admissions experience, or corporate recruiting experience with an emphasis on filling positions for STEM roles.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to connect with prospects on the telephone, over email and in person to effectively represent the GSM.
- Experience assessing candidates as part of a selective evaluation process and interviewing candidates.
- Strong foundation in statistics, and ideally linear algebra and calculus, and with a comfort in assessing an applicant’s ability to speak about complex topics in accessible, and non-technical terms.
- Skill and experience with developing and delivering marketing presentations, the skills to persuade others and relay information in an enthusiastic and dynamic manner through public speaking and presentations.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills to quickly and accurately produce effective emails, letters, memos, reports, etc.
- Analytical skills to prepare statistical reports and analyze a variety of data and processing systems. Skills to analyze procedures and make improvements for continuous business performance improvements.
- Experience to manage and deliver complex projects on time and on budget. Experience to effectively take initiative, prioritize, develop and implement solutions, work independently and as a team member.
- Skills to solve problems and develop solutions effectively.
- Skills to handle difficult, sensitive and/or confidential issues with student groups, persons of varying ages and ethnic backgrounds, special interest groups organizations, employers and company representatives, alumni, campus staff, faculty, the public, and others.
Preferred Qualifications for Selection:
- Computer skills including advanced Microsoft Excel, as well as familiarity with programming languages such as R or SQL.
- Background in marketing, public relations, recruitment, or advertising.
- Experience with relational databases, electronic communications and web editing.
- Skills to analyze procedures and make improvements for continuous business performance improvements.
- Knowledge and experience in working with graduate level management students.
- Knowledge and experience of UC Davis and campus resources.
- Broad and specific knowledge of the graduate and professional student experiences.