Part-Time MBA International Applicants

Application Process

For reporting purposes, international applicants are those who, at the time they submit an application, either:

  1. Received their undergraduate degrees outside the U.S.
  2. Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents

Please note that since the Bay Area and Sacramento Part-Time MBA programs are part-time programs, we are unable to assist with student visas. Typically, our students work with their employers to assist with their visas. The common visa types that we see are: L1 and H1B. We cannot issue an F-1 student visa.

International applicants should follow the standard procedures for applying, as well as those listed below.

Minimum Academic Requirements for International Applicants

The minimum graduate admission requirement includes a bachelor's degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution. Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside the United States should have completed degree programs representing a minimum of 16 years of schooling, with at least 12 years at the primary and secondary levels.

Required Academic Records

Applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended after secondary/high school. All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translations prepared by the issuing institution.

International Transcripts

You may scan and upload copies of your non-U.S. transcripts and degree certificates in the online application. If your institution awards a provisional degree certificate, we ask that you please provide only the final degree certificate, as provisional degree certificates will not be accepted.

Should you be recommended for admission, you will be required to provide our office with the original official records within one week of your application decision.

Official records are original documents issued by the institution that bear the original stamp or embossed seal of the issuing institution and the stamped or signed signature of the appropriate authorizing official. All other documents are unofficial and will not be accepted.

Non-English Transcripts

All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translation prepared by the issuing institution.

If you are in the United States and have only an official copy of your academic records or diploma certificate in the original language, only translations prepared by an ATA Certified translator from the American Translators Association are acceptable. For more information and the directory of members, consult the ATA website.

Credential evaluations prepared by other schools or private agencies cannot be submitted in place of original academic records and diploma certificates.

If you completed an undergraduate program outside of the U.S., please review the English Language Proficiency Requirement information on our page for international applicants. 

You may mail academic documents to:

Graduate School of Management – Admissions
Gallagher Hall, Suite 1101
University of California, Davis
One Shields Ave.
Davis, CA 95616

English Language Proficiency

Applicants who received their degrees in countries other than the U.S., UK, Australia, English-speaking Canada, or Singapore are required to take the TOEFL exam or the IELTS exam. This includes applicants with degrees from Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East, North Africa, the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, and most European countries. Residence in the U.S. does not waive this requirement.

If your native language is not English, you must submit either TOEFL or IELTS scores taken within two years of your projected enrollment date. Only applicants who have completed a degree in the United States consisting of at least two years of full-time study are exempt from this requirement.

Language Proficiency Exams TOELF/IELTS

There are two standardized tests you may take: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment. Unless you are exempt from the standardized English language proficiency test requirement per above, you must take the TOEFL or IELTS assessment. No exceptions will be granted.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

We accept TOEFL scores from tests administered by the Educational Testing Service and sent to us directly by the TOEFL office. Tests taken before June 2018 will not be accepted even if your score was reported to UC Davis. 

The minimum score requirements for the TOEFL are 600 on the paper-based test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 100 on the Internet-based test. The institution code is 4834 and the department code is 02. For more information on TOEFL, please contact: Educational Testing Service (ETS) at (609) 771-7100.

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

As an alternative, you can submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) administered by the British Council worldwide.

The minimum band score requirement for the IELTS is 7.0. You must request that the testing center send your official scores directly to the UC Davis Graduate School of Management; no code is required. For more information on the IELTS, please contact IELTS International at (323) 255-2771.   

What type of jobs and internships are available to international students?

Internships and jobs vary but employment is allowed only under limited conditions. It is critically important that you secure an adequate, reliable and continuing source of funding for your entire course of study before you decide to come to the United States. If you have been in F-1 status for one full academic year and are in good academic standing, you may apply to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during school and up to 40 hours per week during vacations.

Depending on the visa, international students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week. An RA (Research Assistant) or TA (Teaching Assistant) position can earn up to $1,400 per month per 20 hours worked per week. MBA Student Summer Internships are with Finance Departments, Strategic Business Analyst Internships, Corporate Planning & Analysis, Consulting, International Trade & Investment Divisions, Marketing, etc.

What are the chances of working in the U.S. after completing my degree?

Visa quotas change every year, consequently it’s very difficult to speculate the opportunities that will be available in the future. The type of visa you hold, the industry you’re targeting and the functional area of your expertise will determine your chances for employment. There are several web sites and organizations that address the international job market, and probably have a better handle on the situation, including The Foreign MBA.

What are the resources available for international students?

UC Davis Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS), within Global Affairs serves more than 10,000 international students, faculty, and researchers and their accompanying family members who come to UC Davis each year.  

SISS can assist you and your family with visa and immigration issues while you are at UC Davis. In addition to preparing the necessary documents to apply for a U.S. visa, SISS assists international students and scholars in maintaining legal status while in the United States. SISS also provides orientation, assistance, information, and referral to international students, faculty, and researchers regarding financial, personal, cultural, and academic concerns.

Visit the UC Davis Services for International Students & Scholars Office (SISS) or call (530) 752-0864.