PUBL EDUC SPEC 2
The Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship integrates science and business through entrepreneurship education and outreach on campus and beyond. The institute serves as a nexus for innovation education and research and as a springboard for entrepreneurial initiatives on the UC Davis campus. Through a broad range of programs, the institute brings science, engineering and business students and faculty together with experienced entrepreneurs, investors and corporate leaders in a highly collaborative environment that supports technology transfer and commercialization activities. The institute is a Center of Excellence at the Graduate School of Management.
Under the direction of the institute leadership, the program coordinator is responsible for coordinating the annual Big Bang Business Competition. Program coordination includes overseeing the competition logistics; planning, promoting and executing Big Bang workshops; recruiting and helping form Big Bang teams; performing outreach activities to drive attendance and participation; partnering with marketing staff to create and distribute promotional materials; and other activities to support the success and growth of the program.
Under supervision, the program coordinator provides support and assistance with the creation and distribution of institute marketing and advertising information, including print collateral, web site content and electronic communications supporting institute programs.
70% PROGRAM EXECUTION
Responsible for the Big Bang program oversight and participant recruitment. Provides support for team formation (networking, introductions) for competition. Facilitates connections between students, alumni, and corporate partners. Serves as an advisor to students and participants in regards to program participation. Responsible for contest management portion of competition. In collaboration with Sr. Program Manager and Event Coordinator, coordinates and oversees all Big Bang Workshops and events. In collaboration with institute leadership, establishes competition format and schedule each year. Serves as primary liaison to competition software providers.
15% PROGRAM OUTREACH & RECRUITMENT
Supports and executes the activities defined in the recruiting and program development strategy. Manages data and information for outreach, recruitment and enrollment efforts.
Provides comprehensive, in-depth program information through individual meetings, group information sessions, workshops and panel discussions to a diverse population of potential participants. Provides applicant information and updates via phone, email and in-person to applicants throughout the application process. Works to convert interested prospects into program applicants.
15% PROGRAM MARKETING & ADVERTISING
Assists marketing staff and other team members with writing, editing and updating marketing information (program flyers, web content, electronic communications, etc.). Provides input on promotional materials to support outreach and recruiting efforts. Distributes outreach and recruitment communications in print, electronic, web and social media formats.
Works occasional overtime (including evenings, holidays, and weekends), sometimes on short notice, to meet operational needs. Must be available for Big Bang events, Entrepreneurship Academies, and other program events as scheduled.
Must be able to drive to Sacramento, Davis and San Ramon campuses and Sacramento and Bay Area locations. A valid California driver’s license required.
Involves long periods of sitting at a desk in front of a computer. Includes occasional travel.
- Experience developing and managing public-facing, university-related programs.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including developing and delivering persuasive presentations, to effectively represent the institute and its programs.
- Demonstrated experience creating and executing a successful recruiting and outreach campaign with collateral materials. Proven writing, editing and proofreading skills to quickly and accurately produce recruiting and marketing materials.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro, web editing software and aptitude for managing business competition software.
- Experience coordinating a business competition.
- Skills that demonstrate initiative, ability to establish priorities and exercise independent judgment, and recommend continuous improvements to process and productivity.
- Experience handling challenging, sensitive and/or confidential issues and communication with a wide range of individuals and entities.
- Knowledge of and experience with the UC Davis campus, resources and Sacramento regional community.
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.