Senior Application Developer
Applications Programer 4
Under broad direction of the IT Director, lead with a high degree of knowledge and autonomy in advanced level programming and database designs on medium/large, enterprise-level, complex, mission-critical applications to meet business needs of the school and university. As a lead developer, provide direction to project teams, mentor team members, and perform application development activities. Develop appropriate software application/system documentation, including project timelines, functional requirements, system architecture, detailed system design, entity relationship diagrams, process diagrams, object class diagrams, and user interface definitions, using standard UML techniques and utilities.
Department Specific Job Scope:
Information Technology, Graduate School of Management (GSM-IT) is responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of all information systems managed by GSM, within the campus bi-modal IT structure, which serve school and campus business needs.
80% LEAD APPLICATION PROGRAMMING
Under broad direction, provide planning, analytical, and programming support for the development, implementation, and maintenance of systems. Apply independent decision-making and initiative for actions necessary to support development and production. Lead development, ensuring compliance with Systems Development application methodology and UCD’s Administrative Computing Policy. As a lead developer, provide direction to project teams, mentor team members, and perform application development activities, including, but not limited to:
- Provide in depth and timely analysis of system issues and complex problems while recommending alternative solutions that best meet client needs. Analysis considerations to include user, networking, and security requirements.
- Provide complete and accurate system design and technical specifications that meet business requirements, major business functions, hardware/software performance requirements, written in a manner appropriate for the approving audience.
- Ensure that interfaces between subsystems are properly designed/ developed to minimize the effort for integrating subsystems.
- Coordinate the implementation of software development and integration with team members where dependencies exist.
- Generate complex source code in a variety of programming languages.
- Generate complex database designs/objects.
15% SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION, TRAINING, AND USER SUPPORT
- Develop appropriate software application/system documentation, including project timelines, functional requirements, system architecture, detailed system design, entity relationship diagrams, process diagrams, object class diagrams, and user interface definitions, using standard UML techniques and utilities.
- Develop appropriate documentation including technical manuals, user manuals, and operating instructions for all system configurations.
- Determine, design, and implement training programs to direct all professional and technical staff in the use of system tools to improve their productivity.
5% PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Participate in educational programs, seminars, and user group meetings.
- Work in a busy office with distractions, traffic, and noise from telephone conversations, visitors, staff, etc.
- Work flexible schedule, including occasional varied lunch hours, evenings/nights, weekends and holidays, usually on short notice to meet operational needs.
- Sit at computer for extended periods of time.
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
- Advanced skills in designing, developing, and implementing advanced, complex database driven Web application systems and user interfaces.
- Advanced skills in object oriented programming languages, frameworks, and toolsets, including Java, Spring, and Ajax.
- Advanced skills in database query and programming languages, including SQL and Oracle PL/SQL.
- Advanced skills in advanced web publishing techniques using HTML, DHTML, CSS, XML, XSL, and XSL Transformations.
- Advanced skills in relational database design and management in and enterprise level environment using Oracle RDMBS and MS-SQL.
- Advanced skills in software/system modeling techniques using Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- Familiarity with software/system lifecycles (investigate, analyze, design, develop, test, implement, and maintain).
- Advanced skills in software application/system documentation including project timelines, functional requirements, system architecture, detailed system design, entity relationship diagrams, process diagrams, object class diagrams, and user interface definitions.
- Advanced skills in web server architectures, including Apache/Tomcat, and Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS).
- Oral and written communication skills to develop technology plans, policies, procedures and convey them to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Organizational and Time management skills.
Preferred Qualifications for Selection:
- Specialized knowledge of various campus enterprise advanced data systems, such as SIS/Banner, CDW, PPS, CAS.
- Experience with ASP.NET, C#.
- Experience with Toad, and ER Studio, Spring Tool Suite/Eclipse.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services.
- Experience with administration of Windows, Citrix, and Linux.
- Experience with Salesforce, Apex, and Vsualforce.
- Experience with Windows Active Directory network implementation and associated administration utilities.