Warren Buffett Trip 2017
Visit to Omaha, Nebraska
The Graduate School of Management has been selected once again to participate in Warren Buffett’s annual visit with students from select MBA programs. We have been invited to visit with Mr. Buffett in Omaha, Nebraska, on Friday, April 7, 2017.
Twenty students from the GSM will be selected to attend; 1/3 of whom need to be women, per Mr. Buffett’s stipulations. UC Davis will be among 40 MBA programs across the U.S. participating in 2017. Selections of GSM students will be made by lottery (as done in past years), with student names being drawn from among entries made by interested students.
No particular preference will be given based on student program, or year of graduation. Beyond the stipulation already noted, this will be a completely random drawing of students.
Details of the Trip
- Selected attendees must be available to travel from April 6 through April 8.
- There will be a April 7 session with Mr. Buffett, including an organized Q&A session and hosted lunch
- Tours of local Buffett subsidiaries will be offered before and after the lunch on April 7.
- Selected attendees will work together to organize logistics.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Must attend the planning meeting on Sunday, January 29 at 4:00pm held at Gallagher Hall.
- Will be responsible for all travel and accommodation expenses related to this trip to Omaha.
- Must participate in the full-day of activities scheduled for April 7, from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 pm.
Volunteering in Omaha
Traditionally, the GSM has participated in volunteer experiences in the Omaha community as a way of thanking Mr. Buffett for this unique opportunity. Our intent is to continue with this GSM tradition for the 2017 visit. Generally, non-profit organizations of interest to Mr. Buffett are selected and supported on a day leading up to the April 7 session.
Selections of MBA students will be made by lottery (as done in past years), drawn from among entries by interested students. Per Mr. Buffett’s stipulations, at least one-third of our students need to be women.
The lottery will open on Wednesday, January 4 and close on Wednesday, January 18, with all entrants notified shortly afterwards of their status.
Schedule April 7, 2017
Q&A with Warren Buffett in Omaha, Nebraska
8:00 a.m. Meet at Nebraska Furniture Mart, 700 South 72nd Street
8:30 – 9:30am BUSINESS TOUR/Q&A –
Q&A/Tour at Nebraska Furniture Mart (A Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary)
700 South 72nd Street
10:00 a.m. – noon Q&A SESSION -
Q&A session with Mr. Buffett in Berkshire Hathaway’s building
The Kiewit Building
3555 Farnam Street
12:30 – 2:15 p.m. LUNCH –
Lunch with Mr. Buffett (his treat)
Anthony’s Steak House (An Omaha steakhouse with vegetarian options)
7220 F Street
Group photos after lunch.
2:30 – 3:30 p.m. BUSINESS TOUR/Q&A -
Q&A/Tour at Borsheims (A Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary)
120 Regency Parkway
4:00 – 5:00pm BUSINESS TOUR/Q&A –
Q&A/Tour at Oriental Trading Company (A Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary)
5455 South 90th Street