Cover Letter Guidelines
MPAc Career Services
Unless specifically requested, cover letters are usually not necessary when applying through Symplicity/MBA Focus or when submitting your resume online. When meeting recruiters at Meet the Firms or a career fair, your elevator pitch and conversation should take the place of the cover letter.
When used, cover letters serve as an introduction to accompany and complement your resume. A well-written cover letter is often the first opportunity you have to communicate with a potential employer. Take the time to carefully prepare and proofread your cover letter, and customize it for the job about which you are inquiring.
Tips to Remember:
- Make sure it is meticulously written, and that there are zero punctuation, grammatical or spelling errors.
- Format should be neat, clear and concise. Heading should reflect that of your resume.
- Be honest and positive; point out experience you have that matches the requirements of the position.
- Format font style, size and color to ensure uniformity and clean presentation.
- When writing an email, the cover letter should be the body of the message. Attach your resume in pdf format. See Other Business Correspondence for more information on email.