Ph.D., Stanford University
The effective management of innovation and entrepreneurship, particularly in the development and commercialization of sustainable technologies
Professor Andrew B. Hargadon has written extensively on innovation and entrepreneurship, particularly the commercialization science and technology and the management of research and development. He has published numerous articles and chapters in leading scholarly and applied publications.
Hargadon is at the forefront of teaching, research and practice in cross-disciplinary entrepreneurship, and is founding director of two key centers at UC Davis—the Mike and Renee Child Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and the Energy Efficiency Center. These centers are dedicated to promoting entrepreneurship and innovation through educational programs bridging science, engineering and business. They provide a successful framework for university scientists and engineers to move their ideas out of the lab and into the world.
Hargadon received the 2009 Olympus Emerging Educational Leader Award in recognition for his strong entrepreneurship curriculum and success with the two centers.
Prior to his academic appointment, Hargadon worked as a product designer at Apple Computer and taught in the Product Design program at Stanford University.
A senior fellow at the Kauffman Foundation, Hargadon is the author of How Breakthroughs Happen: The Surprising Truth About How Companies Innovate (Harvard Business School Press, 2003).
His most recent book is Sustainable Innovation: Build Your Company’s Capacity to Change the World (Stanford University Press, 2015).
Hargadon received his Ph.D. from Stanford University’s School of Engineering, where he was named Boeing Fellow and Sloan Foundation Future Professor of Manufacturing. He received his M.S. in mechanical engineering and B.S. in engineering from Stanford University’s Product Design Program.
- AlwaysOn 2012 Power Players in Greentech: The University Players.
- Charles M. Soderquist Chair in Entrepreneurship, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 2010-present.
- Olympus Emerging Educational Leader Award, National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance, 2009.
- Chancellor’s Fellow, UC Davis, 2005-present.
- Vanguard Award for the Energy Efficiency Center, Comstock’s Magazine, 2006.
- Professors of Manufacturing Fellow, Stanford Integrated Manufacturing Association.
- Boeing Fellow, Future Professors of Manufacturing, Stanford Integrated Manufacturing Association.