Biotechnology Industry Immersion
Biotechnology has been a disruptive technology in the life sciences industry, especially in biomedical therapeutics and diagnostics. Continued success in the biotechnology industry requires the application of extraordinary leadership and management skills in addition to the scientific innovations.
video: Learning how biotech execs Lead & Manage
- Curriculum designed by both UC Davis faculty and industry executives to reflect the latest challenges in the industry
- Gain hands-on experience each week, teaming with MBA and biotech sciences students in problem-solving sessions
- Five weeks of interactive classes on Fridays in Winter Quarter taught by senior executives from a select group of companies
- Group assignments in every class, examining potential solutions to management challenges
- Scholarships ranging from $3,000 to $42,000 are available to incoming MBA admits for fall 2019
This course introduces students to the many facets of the biotechnology industry and provides a framework for understanding the complex forces that shape and drive it.
You’ll learn from top industry executives about:
- Growth and new developments
- Drug innovations
- Drug regulations
- Marketing and commercialization
“Most MBA programs leverage cases to help bring texture to business concepts, but the Immersion program brings cases to life and lets you experience them.” – David Bodimer MBA 19
- Kimberly Barnholt, Global Program Manager, Enhance Data & Insights Sharing, Genentech, Inc.
- Lonnie Bookbinder, Founder and CEO, ARIZ Precision Medicine
- Robert Bottome, Executive Director, Global Supply Chain & Logistics, BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Steve Chamow, Principal, Chamow and Associates (Biopharmaceutical Product Development)
- Vivien Chan, Ph.D., Chief Operating Officer, Eureka Therapeutics, Inc.
- Julie Cherrington, President and CEO, Arch Oncology, Inc.
- Gowri Nayar, Research Staff Member, IBM Research-Almaden
- Omead Ostadan, VP of Products and Operations, Illumina, Inc.
- Jeff Welser, VP and Lab Director, IBM Research-Almaden
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for students to get some knowledge and classroom learning about the intersection between business, academia and biotechnology,” – Christopher Murriel, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals
Live Case Studies Presented by Executives
- Scaling up a local precision medicine startup
- Designing a drug development plan for FDA approval
- Increasing investor interest and growing revenue
- Forming strategic alliances between biotech companies
- Getting ahead of bad press in interviews with reporters
- Building consumer confidence for an antibiotics product