Biotechnology Industry Immersion
Biotechnology has been a disruptive technology in the life sciences industry, especially in biomedical therapeutics and diagnostics. Continued success in the biotechnology industry requires the application of extraordinary leadership and management skills in addition to the scientific innovations.
video: Learning how biotech execs Lead & Manage
- Curriculum designed by both UC Davis faculty and industry executives to reflect the latest challenges in the industry
- Gain hands-on experience each week, teaming with MBA and biotech sciences students in problem-solving sessions
- Five weeks of interactive classes on Fridays in Winter Quarter taught by senior executives from a select group of companies
- Group assignments in every class, examining potential solutions to management challenges
This course introduces students to the many facets of the biotechnology industry and provides a framework for understanding the complex forces that shape and drive it.
You’ll learn from top industry executives about:
- Growth and new developments
- Drug innovations
- Drug regulations
- Marketing and commercialization
“Most MBA programs leverage cases to help bring texture to business concepts, but the Immersion program brings cases to life and lets you experience them.” – David Bodimer MBA 19
- Judy Kjelstrom, Immersion Coordinator, Dir., UC Davis Biotechnology
- Lonnie Bookbinder, Founder and CEO, ARIZ Precision Medicine
- Glenn Nedwin, CEO and President, Second Genome, Inc.
- Anne Madej, US Regulatory Intelligence, Genentech
- Roberto Barrozo, Regulatory Affairs, Genentech
- Craig Shimasaki, President and CEO, Moleculera Labs
- David Hedin, President and Founder, Expression Systems
- Charles Calderaro, Sr. Vice President, BioMarin Pharmaceuticals
- Jeff Wesler, Vice President and Lab Dir., IBM Research – Almaden
- Christopher Murriel, Assoc. Dir., OncoMed Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for students to get some knowledge and classroom learning about the intersection between business, academia and biotechnology,” – Christopher Murriel, OncoMed Pharmaceuticals
Live Case Studies Presented by Executives
- Scaling up a local precision medicine startup
- Designing a drug development plan for FDA approval
- Increasing investor interest and growing revenue
- Forming strategic alliances between biotech companies
- Getting ahead of bad press in interviews with reporters
- Building consumer confidence for an antibiotics product