International Applicants

MSBA International Applicants

International applicants should follow the standard application procedures, as well as those listed below.

Expected Level of Study for International Applicants

International applicants should visit UC Davis Graduate Studies Expected Level of Study to view the minimum level of study expected of international applicants prior to graduate enrollment at UC Davis. Successful applicants generally rank high in their graduating classes and have excellent test scores. Not all well-qualified applicants may be offered admissions due to the limited number of spaces available in highly competitive programs.

Required Academic Records

Applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended after secondary/high school. All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translations prepared by the issuing institution.

International Transcripts

You may scan and upload copies of your non-U.S. transcripts and degree certificates in the online application. If your institution awards a provisional degree certificate, we ask that you please provide only the final degree certificate, as provisional degree certificates will not be accepted.

Should you be recommended for admission, you will be required to provide our office with the original official records within one week of your application decision.

Official records are original documents issued by the institution that bear the original stamp or embossed seal of the issuing institution and the stamped or signed signature of the appropriate authorizing official. All other documents are unofficial and will not be accepted.

Non-English Transcripts

All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translation prepared by the issuing institution.

If you are in the United States and have only an official copy of your academic records or diploma certificate in the original language, only translations prepared by an ATA Certified translator from the American Translators Association are acceptable. For more information and the directory of members, consult the ATA website.

Credential evaluations prepared by other schools or private agencies cannot be submitted in place of original academic records and diploma certificates.

If you completed an undergraduate program outside of the U.S., please review the English Language Proficiency Requirement information on our page for international applicants. 

You may mail academic documents to:

Graduate School of Management – Admissions
Gallagher Hall, Suite 1101
University of California, Davis
One Shields Ave.
Davis, CA 95616

English Language Proficiency

Applicants must submit official TOEFL iBT or IELTS examination scores unless they have earned or will be earning a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from either:

  • A regionally accredited U.S. college or university where English is the sole language of instruction, OR
  • A foreign college or university which provides instruction solely in English. UC Davis Graduate School of Management will only approve waivers for foreign colleges and universities that list English as the sole language of instruction in the IAU World Higher Education Database. If English is not the sole language of instruction listed (or if no language is listed at all), the waiver does not apply. We will not review or accept any other documentation.

Language Proficiency Exams TOEFL iBT/IELTS

There are two standardized tests you may take: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment. Unless you are exempt from the standardized English language proficiency test requirement per above, you must take the TOEFL iBT or IELTS assessment. No exceptions will be granted. The MSBA program does not accept Duolingo English Test scores at this time.

TOEFL iBT and IELTS exam scores are valid for two years from the date the test was taken. Scores that expire before the start of classes for the current admissions year may be used in your application only if the official score report is received in our office prior to its expiration. It is your duty to confirm with the admissions office receipt of your official test score prior to its expiration.

TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

The UC Davis Graduate School of Management accepts the TOEFL iBT exam (in-person or at-home).

  • The minimum score requirement for the TOEFL iBT is 100. 
  • The institution code is 4834 and the division is the Graduate Business Organization.
  • For more information on TOEFL iBT, please contact Educational Testing Service (ETS) at (609) 771-7100.

We accept TOEFL iBT scores from tests administered by the Educational Testing Service and sent to us directly by the TOEFL office.

Note: UC Davis Graduate School of Management does not accept TOEFL MyBest scores, or TOEFL ITP Plus or TOEFL Essentials examinations at this time.

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

The UC Davis Graduate School of Management also accepts the IELTS Academic (in-person) and IELTS indicator (online) exams.

You can submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) administered by the British Council worldwide.

The minimum band score requirement for the IELTS is 7.0. You must request that the testing center send us your official scores directly.

UC Davis Graduate School of Management is registered to receive IELTS Academic and IELTS Indicator scores using the IELTS Results Service E-Delivery, so please send your scores to: University of California, Davis Graduate School of Management.

For more information on the IELTS, please contact IELTS International at (323) 255-2771.   

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of jobs and internships are available to international students?

Internships and jobs vary but employment is allowed only under limited conditions. It is critically important that you secure an adequate, reliable and continuing source of funding for your entire course of study before you decide to come to the United States. If you have been in F-1 status for one full academic year and are in good academic standing, you may apply to work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during school and up to 40 hours per week during vacations.

Depending on the visa, international students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week. An RA (Research Assistant) or TA (Teaching Assistant) position can earn up to $1,400 per month per 20 hours worked per week. MBA Student Summer Internships are with Finance Departments, Strategic Business Analyst Internships, Corporate Planning & Analysis, Consulting, International Trade & Investment Divisions, Marketing, etc.

What are the chances of working in the U.S. after completing my degree?

Visa quotas change every year, consequently, it’s very difficult to speculate the opportunities that will be available in the future. The type of visa you hold, the industry you’re targeting and the functional area of your expertise will determine your chances for employment. There are several websites and organizations that address the international job market, and probably have a better handle on the situation, including The Foreign MBA.

What are the resources available for international students?

UC Davis Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS), within Global Affairs serves more than 10,000 international students, faculty, and researchers and their accompanying family members who come to UC Davis each year.  

SISS can assist you and your family with visa and immigration issues while you are at UC Davis. In addition to preparing the necessary documents to apply for a U.S. visa, SISS assists international students and scholars in maintaining legal status while in the United States. SISS also provides orientation, assistance, information, and referral to international students, faculty, and researchers regarding financial, personal, cultural, and academic concerns.

Visit the UC Davis Services for International Students & Scholars Office (SISS) or call (530) 752-0864.

What does the STEM designation mean for international students?

The UC Davis Master of Science in Business Analytics is a STEM-designated graduate-level program that will provide you with business knowledge in science, technology and engineering needed to be a coveted and highly effective leader in industries across the globe.

In the U.S., businesses are increasingly hiring international workers who have STEM degrees to help fill the shortage of qualified workers in STEM fields. Through this STEM classification, UC Davis MSBA international students can qualify for an Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension up to 36-months post graduation to remain in the U.S. so they can receive training through work experience and establish their careers in STEM-related fields. You should speak to Services for International Students and Scholars following an offer of admissions to ensure that you have met eligibility requirements. 

Read more about general OPT rules and more about STEM-classified OPT degree rules.