Incoming Class, Fall 2020
Incoming students are required to complete the Online Quantitative Fundamentals Course
These online modules are meant to be refresher courses for our newly enrolled students. The courses were chosen by our GSM faculty to measure our incoming students' quantitative skills and expose them to the problem sets that will be used throughout the MBA curriculum and beyond.
This is a requirement that benefits our students who have not worked with these problem sets since college. In short, this online course is a review to help students succeed in the GSM curriculum.
Accessing the Online Courses
- Online Quant Fun Assessment
- Register before August 10, 2020, on the HBS site to create a personal user name and password
- Register after August 10, 2020
- Once you are registered in the system, you will be required to login to access the course content using your user name and password
- Once logged in see the left-hand navigation bar and choose Coursepacks
- Choose the Course Section and then click Run Course Section
- Complete the pre-test for these four sections of the Quantitative Fundamentals assessment, Algebra, Calculus, Statistics, and Probability.
- If your overall average is less than 75%, you need to go back and take the final-tests until you meet the 75% benchmark.
For your convenience, you can calculate your score by using the following Quant Fun Score Calculator
- After completing all four pre-tests, you can calculate your average percentage to determine if you need to take the final tests to improve your cumulative score. Add up the four scores and divide by 4.
- If your average score is 75% or greater from the four pre-tests, then you are done with Quant Fun and are not required to attend the Quantitative Fundamentals In-Person Review Sessions.
- If your average is less than 75% from the four pre-tests, you must complete the final-test for each module in which you scored 75% or below (we do not round up the scores), or complete all the final-tests until you are able to reach the benchmark.
Student A received the following pre-test scores:
Given the example above, the average of the four pre-tests is below 75%, students will work through the Statistics and Calculus modules and take the final-tests for both to increase their average score. If the score still does not reach the benchmark of 75%, then students are required to take the last two final-tests in an attempt to increase their cumulative score.
Final averages will be calculated using the higher score between the pre-test and final exam of each module.
All students with an average score of less than 75% must attend all the sessions of the In-Person Quantitative Fundamentals Review Sessions.
If you do not meet the 75% minimum score after completing the pre-test and/or final-test, you must attend the in-person Quant Fun. Sessions. To ensure the best preparation for students who are required to attend these sessions, spaces are limited to only those students who are required to attend.
These in-person sessions are hands-on workshops that include working through problem sets together with each other and the instructor. Students can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the problem sets that will be used throughout the MBA curriculum and beyond.
Fulfilling this requirement includes attending both full-day sessions.
Quant Fun In-person Session Logistics
Session I: Sunday, September 20, 2020
Session II: Sunday, September 27, 2020
9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Each session will require a full-day of participation and are subject to change.
- If you have technical difficulties accessing the course, please email HBS tech help.
- If you have other questions about this requirement, please contact Inger Maher, Director of Academic & Student Services.
- Once you have completed your exams, please enter your scores in the Canvas assignment tool. Once all your grades are entered, your program manager will check your scores and confirm your scores through Canvas.