Ph.D., University of Washington
Research Expertise: Accounting, cost-effectiveness of online education, healthcare costs, corporate crime and misconduct
A recognized expert on managerial accounting, Professor Emeritus Michael Maher is also an authority on corporate crime (e.g., fraud, bribery, antitrust). He develops profiles on companies and managers that commit corporate misconduct, and studies and lectures on corporate ethics and the responsibilities of business and auditors to stakeholders.
Maher focuses his research on the efficiency of recent developments in managerial accounting, including activity-based costing, benchmarking and theory constraints. He has authored more than 10 books on the principles and essentials of managerial accounting and written or edited chapters in more than 20 other publications. He has published more than 30 major articles in top academic journals. He teaches courses on managerial accounting and on using performance measurements and rewards to motivate people.
Maher has conducted research on anti-trust issues related to the airline industry, the cost-effectiveness of online education and healthcare costs. He consults for diverse industries, including computer software, automobile, defense, health care, government and pharmaceuticals. Maher earned his Ph.D. from the University of Washington and his B.B.A. from Gonzaga University. He holds an MBA from the University of Washington and is a C.P.A.
- Lifetime Contribution Award, The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and the Management Accounting Section of the American Accounting Association (AAA), 2015.
- Best Article, Accounting Horizons, 2010.
- Finalist, Best Article, Journal of Operations Management, (with D. Weiss), 2009.
- Best Paper Award, European Risk Management Conference (with D. Weiss), 2008.
- Annual Professor of the Year Award (second year classes), UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 2008.
- Charter Member, Gonzaga University Chapter, Beta Alpha Psi, 1997.
- Annual Professor of the Year Award, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 1996.
- Special Certificate of Appreciation, Associated Students of the Graduate School of Management, 1995.
- Annual Outstanding Teacher Award, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 1993, 1989.
- Distinguished Alumni Merit Award, Gonzaga University, 1989.
- Special Award for Service to the UC Davis Graduate School of Management, the Associated Students of Management, 1989.
- Outstanding Tax Manuscript Award, American Taxation Association, 1984.
- Notable Contribution to the Literature Gold Medal Award, American Institute of CPAs, 1982.
- Competitive Manuscript Award, American Accounting Association, 1980.
- Dissertation Fellowship, Ernst & Ernst, 1975.
- Fellowship, American Accounting Association, 1974-75.
- Consortium Fellow, American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium, 1974.
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1972.
- Alpha Sigma Nu, 1968.
- Honors at Entrance, Gonzaga University, 1965.