Full-Time MBA Student Experience
General information Lisa Nguyen
You’ll enjoy a calendar packed with opportunities, many of which you’ll have a hand creating and planning.
- Ideas Into Action: Our students collaborate in global, national and regional business and investment competitions. A team of UC Davis MBA students advanced to the semifinals of the Nespresso Sustainability MBA Challenge 2014 for their innovative concept for sustainable quality coffee sourcing. The challenge inspired 59 proposals from business schools around the world.
- Giving Back: MBA Challenge for Charity draws on the talents, energy and philanthropic efforts of students from nine top West Coast business schools. Our chapter supports the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Sacramento, the Northern California Special Olympics and Habitat for Humanity.
- A Running Start: You’ll form lifelong bonds during orientation, as you and your classmates explore Northern California hotspots, including world-famous destinations like Napa Valley, San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. Highlights include a challenging ropes course that builds teamwork skills.
- Experience Plus: The new Board Fellowship Program, offered through our Women in Leadership club, places MBA students on the boards of directors of partner organizations as non-voting members. It’s an amazing opportunity to gain board experience and learn from industry leaders while applying your leadership toolkit.
- Leading with Honor: Believing that ethics are a cornerstone of leadership, students begin their MBA experience with a student-initiated pledge to “complete my degree with honesty and integrity” and to “hold myself and my classmates to the highest standards of honor from this day forward.”
- Meet Warren: Billionaire businessman and philanthropist Warren Buffett has hosted more than 200 UC Davis MBA students at Berkshire Hathaway’s headquarters in Omaha since 2005. He praised our MBAs: “There’s a lot more to education than just the basic curriculum, and UC Davis should be proud of turning out first-rate human beings.”
- Connections: You’ll enjoy numerous opportunities to build your networks, socialize and simply have fun outside the classroom, from parties that celebrate the School’s diversity to field trips that explore local industries and businesses. Each week, students, faculty and staff gather for Connections, a casual get-together to build community and learn what is happening at the School.
- Make a Net Impact: Net Impact uses the power of business to create positive social, environmental and economic change. Our Gold-ranked chapter has been recognized as the Trailblazing Chapter of the Year, the Best Small Chapter of the Year and among the top four Graduate Chapters worldwide. The chapter hosts high-profile speakers, offers leadership development opportunities, supports courses in social entrepreneurship and sustainable business, and joins peers at the annual national Net Impact conference.
- Igniting Entrepreneurship: UC Davis MBAs network and learn alongside like-minded students from Rice University, the University of Texas, Houston, and Baylor College of Medicine at Ignite.The annual conference has included presentations by successful and up-and-coming entrepreneurs and a whirlwind tour of San Francisco Bay Area startups and VC firms—including Coursera, Facebook, Dropbox, Square, SurveyMonkey, Benchmark Capital, Proteus Digital Health, Autodesk, Khosla Ventures, Google, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
- World of Opportunity: The International Study Trip course opens a window to global business. After a quarter-long study of a region, students take lessons learned on a two-week tour with site visits and executive meetings. Recent trips include Cuba, Switzerland, Chile, Hungary and the Czech Republic, China, Vietnam, Ecuador and Panama, Germany, and Italy and Turkey—including a visit to the Blue Mosque in Istanbul.