Professor, Jerome and Elsie Suran Chair in Technology Management
Ph.D., The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Research Expertise: Technology management, management information systems, economics of information technology industry, pricing and product design decisions, management decision technologies
Professor Bhargava is an expert in technology management and the information technology industry. He also studies the use of IT in clinical health care, and has previously worked on data-driven and analytical decision making in organizations.
Bhargava's research in technology management highlights distinctive characteristics of technology goods and their impact on specific elements of operations, marketing, and competitive strategy. Competition in technology products—including information goods, online services, software, electronic gadgets, the media and entertainment industry, and alternative energy—is often driven by distinctive economic forces on both the supply side (e.g., their unique cost structures) and the demand side (e.g., the prominence of network effects as a source of value creation).
His recent work in this area examines various elements of competitive strategy for such products, including pricing strategies, revenue models, product design and product mix strategies, technological compatibility and interoperability, bundling and supply chain considerations. He has applied this research in areas such as search advertising, telecommunication services, IT outsourcing and entertainment and media industries.
Bhargava earned a Ph.D. in Information Systems, Operations, and Economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, and a B.S. in Mathematics from Delhi University.
- Jerome J. and Elsie Suran Chair in Technology Management, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 2011.
- Chief Data Officer Magazine Top 100 Academic Data Leaders, Only UC Davis faculty on global list, 2021.
- 2017 Distinguished Fellow Award by the INFORMS Information Systems Society, October 2017.
- Best Paper Award, eBusiness Section of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), Paper No. 88, Austin, Tex., November 7-10, 2010.
- Gallagher Research Fellow, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 2009-10.
- Fellow, eBusiness Research Center, Pennsylvania State University, 2001-03.
- Menneken Award for Excellence in Research, Naval Postgraduate School, 1998.
- Best Paper Award, Thirtieth Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (Advanced Technology Track), Paper No. 75, Maui, HI, January 7-10, 1997.
- Best Paper Award, Fifth International Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems, Paper No. 79, Amsterdam, Netherlands, December 9-10, 1995.
- Outstanding Research Achievements in 1991, Naval Postgraduate School, March 1992.
- NATO Advanced Study Institute on Decision Support Systems, June 1991.
- First Prize, Transactions of Decision Support Systems-90, "Outstanding DSS Applications and Achievements," Paper No. 111, Boston, Mass., 1990.
- Fifth Operations Research Society of America Doctoral Colloquium, Keystone, Colo., October 1988.
- University Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 1987-89.
- National Science Talent Award, University of Delhi, 1984.