Professor, Jerome and Elsie Suran Chair in Technology Management
Director, Center for Analytics and Technology in Society
Ph.D., The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Research Expertise: Technology management, management information systems, economics of information technology industry, pricing and product design decisions, management decision technologies
Professor Hemant K. Bhargava is an academic leader in economic modeling and analysis of technology-based business and markets. His research focuses on decision analytics and how the distinctive characteristics of technology goods influences specific elements of operations, marketing, and competitive strategy, and the implications it holds for competitive markets and technology-related policy. He has examined deeply these issues in specific industries including platform businesses, information and telecommunications industries, healthcare, media and entertainment, and electric vehicles.
Bhargava has published extensively in the top journals Management Science, Operations Research, Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Information Systems Research, INFORMS Journal on Computing, and Production and Operations Management. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the INFORMS Information Systems Society, and Department Editor (Information Systems) for INFORMS’ flagship journal Management Science. He co-founded the annual Theory in Economics of Information Systems workshop. He co-founded and was the first Academic Director of the UC Davis Master of Science in Business Analytics program. He was listed among the Global 100 Top Academic Data Leaders by Chief Data Officer magazine in 2020.
He has received several research awards, including most recently the INFORMS Journal on Computing "Test of Time" award for his 2007 paper on search engines, and a Research Excellence Gift by Google in 2017-18.
Bhargava earned a Ph.D. in Information Systems, Operations, and Economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He has an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, and a B.S. in Mathematics from Delhi University.
- Jerome J. and Elsie Suran Chair in Technology Management, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 2011.
- Chief Data Officer Magazine Top 100 Academic Data Leaders, Only UC Davis faculty on global list, 2021.
- 2017 Distinguished Fellow Award by the INFORMS Information Systems Society, October 2017.
- Best Paper Award, eBusiness Section of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), Paper No. 88, Austin, Tex., November 7-10, 2010.
- Gallagher Research Fellow, UC Davis Graduate School of Management, 2009-10.
- Fellow, eBusiness Research Center, Pennsylvania State University, 2001-03.
- Menneken Award for Excellence in Research, Naval Postgraduate School, 1998.
- Best Paper Award, Thirtieth Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (Advanced Technology Track), Paper No. 75, Maui, HI, January 7-10, 1997.
- Best Paper Award, Fifth International Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems, Paper No. 79, Amsterdam, Netherlands, December 9-10, 1995.
- Outstanding Research Achievements in 1991, Naval Postgraduate School, March 1992.
- NATO Advanced Study Institute on Decision Support Systems, June 1991.
- First Prize, Transactions of Decision Support Systems-90, "Outstanding DSS Applications and Achievements," Paper No. 111, Boston, Mass., 1990.
- Fifth Operations Research Society of America Doctoral Colloquium, Keystone, Colo., October 1988.
- University Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 1987-89.
- National Science Talent Award, University of Delhi, 1984.